6.5 options

Kgkimerer

planning my first semi custom. 6.5 x55, 6.5/284. 6.5 Creedmoor are all viable. I'm leaning to the Swede because of its proven ability. This rifle is intended for LR deer, possibly elk, and steel out to 600-800 yards. Building this off a savage or rem action with at least a 26" barrel. Any suggestions?

260 Ackley..Out classes the Creedmoor and pushes up against the 6.5x284..

Taking mine out in the morning for the spring bear opener..

planning my first semi custom. 6.5 x55, 6.5/284. 6.5 Creedmoor are all viable. I'm leaning to the Swede because of its proven ability. This rifle is intended for LR deer, possibly elk, and steel out to 600-800 yards. Building this off a savage or rem action with at least a 26" barrel. Any suggestions?

Go for it! I too have a soft spot for the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, it has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 ... and still going strong after all these years esp. in Europe.

I have a Carl Gustaf 1894M carbine (18" barrel) surplus rifle that I started my boys hunting with. It's not pretty but very accurate. When I got furloughed a few years ago, I got bored and started lading for it. Here's my 1st and only attempt ... left it alone "as is" :Dgun)...

Attachments

• 140 NAB 6.5x55.jpg
    140 NAB 6.5x55.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 81
6.5 Sherman or SS (Sherman shortmag) will easily outperform any of those mentioned. It will also give you better barrel life than the 6.5/284.......Rich

Cant go wrong with any of those choices. 6.5 Creedmoor will be the cheapest to shoot and get best barrel life. 6.5-284 will have a little more fps/energy which is nice for LR hunting.

6.5 short mags SAUM, WSM, or SS if you want more speed/energy and don't care about reduced barrel life or mind tinkering with wildcats are pretty awesome rounds

Cant go wrong with any of those choices. 6.5 Creedmoor will be the cheapest to shoot and get best barrel life. 6.5-284 will have a little more fps/energy which is nice for LR hunting.

6.5 short mags SAUM, WSM, or SS if you want more speed/energy and don't care about reduced barrel life or mind tinkering with wildcats are pretty awesome rounds

An SS will outlast the barrels on the saum, wsm, or even the 6.5/284. It will also produce more velocity than the saum and 284, and will come close to the wsm with 8-9 grs. less powder and a lot more barrel life. It does this because it is more efficient and has a better shoulder, and much longer neck......Rich

Sounds like you don't have an action yet. I'd decide short or long action and then go from there. In a long action, I like my 6.5-06 a lot. Kind of a ballistic tie with the 6.5-284. If short action sounds like lots of options. The Swede in a 700 would take a long action, and probably bolt face opening depending on brass you use. For that reason, I'd go with my other two choices.

An SS will outlast the barrels on the saum, wsm, or even the 6.5/284. It will also produce more velocity than the saum and 284, and will come close to the wsm with 8-9 grs. less powder and a lot more barrel life. It does this because it is more efficient and has a better shoulder, and much longer neck......Rich

... and the 6.5x55 (122 years since inception) have outlasted all of the above combined by a long shot. Sorry Rich, I couldn't resist. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

... and the 6.5x55 (122 years since inception) have outlasted all of the above combined by a long shot. Sorry Rich, I couldn't resist. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

I would definitely believe that on the barrel life! 300 feet less velocity though:D

I would definitely believe that on the barrel life! 300 feet less velocity though:D

Believe me, if OP did not mention the Swede and velocity is in the mix, I will be all over recommending your wildcats ... as you know I'm a big fan of them. But as previously noted, I too have a soft spot for the Swede.

Cheers!

Ed

Savage LA 111 action on the way. and this year's winner is,,,,,,,, the 6.5x55 Swede. I decided on that round primarily because it is found on shelves. This rifle, will be handed down to my son, who will hand it down to his kids, and so forth.
What if they don't reload? gun)

Savage LA 111 action on the way. and this year's winner is,,,,,,,, the 6.5x55 Swede. I decided on that round primarily because it is found on shelves. This rifle, will be handed down to my son, who will hand it down to his kids, and so forth.
What if they don't reload? gun)

Good choice. I run a .260 AI with a 30" barrel and shoot the 140's from 2960-3000 fps. very pleasant to shoot. My father has a 6.5x55 built on a mauser 98 action, with a 24" barrel, and he is getting about 2875 with his 140 loads. I would recommend nosler or lapua brass, some of the other stuff, I think it was remington possibly...doesn't have the proper sized case head, because the swed has a slightly larger case head than the standard .308, and some of the manufacturers use the standard .308 case head, and you end up with a bulge down at the base of the case. It's still usable brass, just probably not the best option.

Good choice, Kg.

I'm leaning towards the Swede on a re-barrel I'm contemplating. Being more likely to find a box of Swede ammo on the shelves of Wally world or a decent Mom n Pop store is just one of the reasons.
Another, for me at least, to stay away from the others is finding brass. I can find some/most by buying Lapua, but for a 'casual shooter' rifle, the cheaper stuff is more available around here for the Swede.
A final reason is that when I got a chance to hunt in Finland, the number of the Finnish hunters carrying 6.5 Swede for 'helvi' (moose to us here in the states) was about 75%. Most shooting 140 gr bullets. Some using the 156 and 160 grainers.
And, like you said, when I pass this down to the next generation, what if they don't reload? ;) Enjoy your new Swede!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.