6.5 Creed with slower burning powders

backcountryguide

Guys I am currently using H4350 and have a bunch of RL-17 to try in this chambering. My load uses 43.5 gr of the 4350 topped with a 140gr HVLD. This gets me up to 2935 fps at 6500ft using a 28in Bartlien with the 5R rifling. The load proved itself several times this fall taking 4 mule deer and one bull elk at 725 yards. Only one of the deer needed a fallow up the elk went down with a flop. I am wondering if any one is using a powder with a burn rate slower than the H4350 and RL-17? I think with the barrel length more could be had from the little Creed using something a little slower. I have over ten firings on some cases only trimming and neck sizing the brass so I might be able to push the 4350 a little harder. What say you on the slower powders in this round? Please I am not trying to start a elk cartridge war it was what I had with me at the time after discovering a clients scope had a malfunction. I am big on big guns for big bulls. Its tinkering season for me now and I'm curious about the slower powders is all.

I tried Retumbo in a 260 with a 26". The rifle actually like H4831 better than 4350 and produced better speeds. Retumbo was not as good in that rifle as either powder in my case.

I have only tried one load with RL 17 in mine and it shot lights out so I left it the way it was. Haha.

I've seen people use slower powders in their 260's so I'm not sure why they won't work in the Creedmoor.

4831 is were I was heading. The 4350 worked very well from the get go so I left it like that for the season. Maybe some H1000 would make her happy. Thanks guys

Been using some Superformance and 8208 of late with great performance getting low two and single digit ES and SD's.

This thread got me thinking again about a bit more ponder for the CM. I still have some 142's SMK and think I'll do some work up today. Will put some results on afterwards.

I use Hunter with 26" barrel. It only a little slower, closer to RL-19.

The only powders I've tried are H4350, RL-17 and Hunter. All shot very well. Just more velocity with RL-17 and Hunter. And better SD with Hunter vs RL-17.

If you don't mind sharing, what is your recipe and chrono's ?

Bullet
primer
sizing
firings

I've gotten ten + firings, Horn. Match die, .287 bushing, neck size & bump .002 only, trim to 1.90 when needed, No FL. Depending on the bullet, .020 off.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.