6.5 bullet for Prong Horn

I have a 6.5-270 WSM that I'm going to use on a Prong Horn hunt this year. I like the Berger bullets, my choice is the 135 gr. Classic Hunter, 140 gr. EOL Elite Hunter, 156 gr. EOL Elite Hunter
My longest kill shot so far is 850 yards with my 7-300 Norma with the 195 Berger on Elk, I like heavy bullets, but the 156 gr. may be over kill
No such thing as overkill.

Agreed. You can't make something more or less dead. Do you ever get to a point where meat damage is just too excessive, or is the goal to get them dead fast and carcass be danged? I see the advantages to both view points, but I sure hate to lose that off shoulder.
Shot placement certainly matters in meat preservation. Pronghorns may be easily killed BUT they sure can cover many football fields before expiring. Many don't like that long distance travel after the shot so shoulder shots are common. For me, especially on flat ground where goats roam and are mostly harvested, that long death run isn't a concern. There small deer and landscape is easily traveled. Meat loss vs walking for a recovery is an easy pick for me. Now if it was mountainous country and Mule deer was on my harvest tag, it'd be the shoulder shot for instant kill and recovery. Also many pronghorns are shot at distance. The lung area rib cage tend to be a larger bullseye.

I have a 6.5-270 WSM that I'm going to use on a Prong Horn hunt this year. I like the Berger bullets, my choice is the 135 gr. Classic Hunter, 140 gr. EOL Elite Hunter, 156 gr. EOL Elite Hunter
My longest kill shot so far is 850 yards with my 7-300 Norma with the 195 Berger on Elk, I like heavy bullets, but the 156 gr. may be over kill
Me too! I will be loading the 156 on my .264 WM. As far as overkill, no, it is not as noted by @hunter67wa. I have harvested antelope with 175 Matrix (.270 AI), 200 NAB (.300 WM), 215 Berger (.300 WSM), and 225 NAB (.338 WM) with minimal meat damage.

I used a 110 grain Hammer Hunter this past season at @ 500 yards for my Lope. My 6.5X47 pushes it at 3048 FPS.
65DDA416-D271-4306-A207-787A1E624E22.jpeg

Having now shot antelope and deer using 140.HVLD and 156 Berger's, I have found that the performance is quite similar, as is elevation and windage when driven at 3000(140gr) and 2950(156gr) out at 1000 yards. . There is a difference in energy with the 156 generating an additional 150 ft#'s energy at 1000yds, that difference, IMO, being academic on medium game at practical max ranges. My choice of which of these bullets to use on medium sized game is not based on simply the weight difference of the bullet, but more dependent on the accuracy/ES/powder choice for the paricular 6.5 rifle I'm loading for. Of my three 6.5x284's one runs the 156, two, the 140.

Your 6.5/270 WSM is equivalent to my 6.5 PRC in ballistics. For antelope try to find the flattest shooting accurate re-load (or factory brand) you can that is accurate at up to 900 yards. I like Hornady 140 gr. MATCH (ELD-M) cartridges. Good enough for antelope.

For deer and elk I use the heavier Hornady ELD-X hunting cartridges.
Eric B.

Your 6.5/270 WSM is equivalent to my 6.5 PRC in ballistics. For antelope try to find the flattest shooting accurate re-load (or factory brand) you can that is accurate at up to 900 yards. I like Hornady 140 gr. MATCH (ELD-M) cartridges. Good enough for antelope.

For deer and elk I use the heavier Hornady ELD-X hunting cartridges.
Eric B.
Your 6.5 PRC is more ballistically equivalent to my 6.5-284 than the 6.5-270 WSM. 68 vs 78 grain case capacity isn't very ballistically equal in comparison. Anything from either cartridge is gonna be very flat with 140 class low drag bullets but the 6.5-270 WSM will be considerably flatter, faster and hit with much more energy than the PRC. Both are plenty of cartridge for Elk with heavier bullets. Both cartridges are excellent antelope cartridges also with any hunting bullets offered in that caliber.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.