6.5 bullet for Prong Horn

Short Case

I have a 6.5-270 WSM that I'm going to use on a Prong Horn hunt this year. I like the Berger bullets, my choice is the 135 gr. Classic Hunter, 140 gr. EOL Elite Hunter, 156 gr. EOL Elite Hunter
My longest kill shot so far is 850 yards with my 7-300 Norma with the 195 Berger on Elk, I like heavy bullets, but the 156 gr. may be over kill

stx

LRH Team Member
I killed my antelope this year with a 124 Hammer Hunter in one of my 6.5 CMs....great performance!
36F23A11-34FA-43F9-8922-B338D0216AE0.jpeg

lancetkenyon

My daughter uses a 6.5SLR. She shoots the 130 OTM. She whooped a pronghorn and a big mule deer buck last year with them. Neither took a single step.
I have used the 140 Hyb on a few animals too. Again, just dead at the shot.
I have the 156s loaded up now for my 6.5SS. My buddy just smoked a Coues buck with them in his 6.5SAUM.
I will be shooting the 144 Hyb or 150 SMK in my new 6.5SS I am gathering parts for as we speak.

Kimber7man

LRH Team Member
130 VLD worked well for me in a 260 and my 6.5 SAUM.
I’ve since made my SAUM a 139 Scenar exclusive.
@lancetkenyon i am also intrigued by the 144 hybrid, looking forward to seeing results - those could change my mind about the Scenar.

Bill Cauley Jr

Formerly 'unclewilly'
LRH Team Member
I have a 6.5-270 WSM that I'm going to use on a Prong Horn hunt this year. I like the Berger bullets, my choice is the 135 gr. Classic Hunter, 140 gr. EOL Elite Hunter, 156 gr. EOL Elite Hunter
My longest kill shot so far is 850 yards with my 7-300 Norma with the 195 Berger on Elk, I like heavy bullets, but the 156 gr. may be over kill
Burger 140 grain Vld hunting this is my go to bullet for my 6.5x284 norma

30 Hart

For pronghorn I like the 147 eldm...very accurate, bucks wind like crazy and kills antelope like lightning. I'd use it up to Mule deer but would pick another bullet for larger game.

Plinker147

156 should be great out of that cartridge if you don’t have to mash in the case to far. I have had great results with the 135 classics but they seem to be a bit more frangible than the EOL. At your speeds they will be hard on meat so I would lean towards EOL for your rifle.

Quintus

I also used the Berger 130 VLDH running 3180 from my CA Mesa in the PRC. perfect performance at 387Y.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce