6.5 A Max for Hunting? Looking for comments

MTsmith

I have quite a few 120, 123 and 140 grain Hornady A Max bullets in 264.
I'm in Montana so I hunt for antelope, mule deer and elk. Does anyone have any experience using these bullets for hunting?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts..
MTSmith

The AMAXES were initially toted by Hornady as a target bullet. They have a thin jacket on them. But since then, a lot of people have found them to be useful in hunting. Since they have a thin jacket, they will come apart easy. Especially if driven really fast and shot at short ranges. SO, will they do the job? Sure, tons of people have been using them with great success. But if I were you and I was going to use this bullet, I would use the heaviest for caliber amax that I could which would be your 140 gr amax. The heavier bullet will get you more penetration as well as buck the wind. They should prove very formidable against deer and antelope. Now for elk...I am a fan of larger calibers for those critters but again..many people have taken them with 140 gr amaxes as well.

By the way, if you don't have a need for those 123 gr amax, let me know via private message and I will buy them from you. I use them for coyotes.

I have used the 140 a-max out of a 6.5 Creedmoor and i do not recommend for hunting. Especially with a 264 because of the higher velocity than the Creed. I used the 140 a-max to take down a 312 lb black bear and he went right down but the bullet disintegrated. Found what was left of the bullet on the opposite shoulder. Shot quite a few deer with them but once again not recommended. The bullets do not hold up. The work fantastic for coyotes though.

I have shot one animal with a 140 amax from a 6.5x55. The range was only about 200 yards and i hit the onside shoulder. Punched a clean hole in and about a nickel sized exit behind the offside shoulder. Dropped him in his tracks. I was plenty pleased.

Don't know about the Elk, but we have had great success on whitetails with the 105gr/243, 140gr/6.5-284, 162gr/7mag. Yet to lose a deer. Ranges from 200 to 650yds. No tracking involved.

Resurrecting a 6 month old thread.......If impact velocities are to be below 2600 fps (beyond 75 yards from my 6.5X55) they will be fine. As mentioned, these are highly frangible bullets, but below 2600 fps connecting velocities they perform great all the way down to 1600 fps, thus a wonderful LR bullet. Above 2600 fps impact velocity they act like a V-MAX.

I killed a coues deer at 1243 yards with a 6.5-284 and a 140 and I watched my buddies wife kill a coues at 680 yards with a 260 rem and 120. Both deer dropped where they stood.

+1 to the speed. lower velocities are very needed or they will disintegrate on impact. Great practice bullets and if you arnt opposed to tracking a little.

That sounds like the info I have also. My 6.5X55 is getting a new heavy 25" Pacnor barrel right now, so I'm hoping the 140gr A-MAXes I have on order come in soon.

I killed a coues deer at 1243 yards with a 6.5-284 and a 140 and I watched my buddies wife kill a coues at 680 yards with a 260 rem and 120. Both deer dropped where they stood.

I'm curious to what your velocity was at 1243 yards. I cannot get my 6.5-284 to shoot the Berger VLD without getting random flyers and they don't make a hunting hybrid. And I can't find any Nosler accubond long range anywhere, so I am thinking of trying the 140 Amax to extend my range some. Right now I am shooting the Nosler Ballistic tip 140 with great accuracy but the slower velocity and lower BC only gives me a max range of around 650 or so before it drops below Noslers recommended 1800 fps minimum.

I'd be interested in hearing your load data if you don't mind sharing too. Thanks.

I shot 2 Buck's and 1 Doe one morning. It was a 140 Amax out of my .260, 77 yards to 130 yards. 1 Buck DRT, 1 Buck no more then 20 yards, and the Doe about 10 yards. Exit wounds quarter size.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.