6.5~7PRC ??

Far North Hunter

I was curious and discussing with a fellow shooter punching out my 6.5 PRC to a 6.5~7PRC. He commented it should be easy. That all that was required was running your 6.5 PRC reamer in an additional 25 thousand. Not having the SAAMI drawing for the 7PRC, can a member smith comment on the validity of his comment?

I'm not a gunsmith but just comparing the drawings I'd say that's a "NO"... here ya go:

1689743884677.png

1689743916512.png

I was curious and discussing with a fellow shooter punching out my 6.5 PRC to a 6.5~7PRC. He commented it should be easy. That all that was required was running your 6.5 PRC reamer in an additional 25 thousand. Not having the SAAMI drawing for the 7PRC, can a member smith comment on the validity of his comment?
Neck diameter would still be .020 small
appears the cases have different body taper in addition

No...running the 6.5 PRC reamer deeper, with not only the wrong angle for the case taper of the 7PRC case, but would make the case head oversize on .532". Get the correct chamber reamer, ordered from a chamber reamer manufacturer. ...or the chamber could be bored with a carbide boring bar with a 30° shoulder to extend it to fit 7 prc case ...not likely anyone would do that for ya...a real wildcat.

It's not .025" it's .235". The 7 is almost 1/4 longer. As already said, no, you need a reamer with the 7 prc spec with a .264 neck mapped out

My point is that 6.5 PRC is definitely a short action (COAL is max 2.955). 7mm PRC (and 300 PRC) are run in long action and 6.5 PRC is run in a short action. If the current gun is built as a 6.5 PRC - its short action and will not be compatable.
Could be a medium action the OP is running but you are right, most running a 6.5 PRC are using a Short action or medium action, the 7 PRC is suited toward a long action for sure.

Last edited:
If you have a short action, you will have to single load because your OAL will never safely fit in a 2.995 mag.

If you have a medium action, again you could single load rounds. Depending on your medium length mag you might be able to safely seat bullets that will snap in your mag but you're going to sacrifice a lot of powder space in the case. I investigated turning my Defiance Medium based rifle into a 7mm PRC. The 3.1999in magazine (Defiance says 3.2in but something that long hangs, tried it) will just not fit the 7 PRC minimum OAL without sacrificing way too much powder space. Going through this in the past with a 7mm STW I just don't want to go through it again. It doesn't gain anything over my current setup.

There is a 7mm based on the current 6.5 case, don't recall what people were calling it. I think Eric Cortina is using one in competition. There is also a Sherman Improved 6.5 PRC/SI.

Yup. Though, medium bolt actions are unusual. Traditionally, I believe actions come short, long, & magnum. I know, more recently, medium actions are discussed in some forums but not common IMHO. Never seen one in person.
In factory offerings medium is not that common. In aftermarket, it's more so, but agree, it's different. It has become more popular due to the 6.5 PRC etc due to the extra .25 inch gain. Running a XM and wyatts a person can go 3.235 like a bighorn but that's max, which fits in the relm of 3.09 to 3.34 of the saami spec.

I do agree with you that if the OP was referencing a short action there will be a big issue. Makes me think the guy he was talking to didn't realize the PRC cases are not that close in size. I recall some thinking the 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC cases were the same...... doh

Just rechamber to 6.5 x 270 WSM with that chamber reamer ...retain short action, and within 4 grs H2O capacity of the 7PRC...rather than stuff a long action cartridge in a short action...which would be fine for just target shooting, but not to handy in the field. As you can run a long 300 Win Mag in a short action like the old 40X single shot, just pull the bolt release to extract...