• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

6.5 / 7mm caliber for short ultralight build

7mm-08, 260, 6.5 SAUM, 7mm SAUM for the tried and true. 7mm08 would be my choice. It is what I chose for both my sons and daughter to learn to shoot. My wife has a 7x57 which is ballistically identical to the 7mm08. Because you are shooting at extended ranges the SD of the 260 may be more desirable. Both are excellent cartridges and light on recoil. If you are set on a short action and just want the assurance of more power and another 100 to 150 yards of range the SAUMs are hard to beat, though you really don't gain much with barrels in the 20" range, 22-23 they should work fine. Brass and components are, even under the present circumstances, attainable. Of the 4 7mm08 is probably the easiest to come by if you needed factory ammo in a pinch. As far as the new kids on the block, such as, the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5 RPM brass consistency and availability may be an issue and I am not sure you really gain anything over the SAUMs or WSMs. Prime example is the new 6.8 Western. For all practical purposes it is a reintroduced 270 WSM with a fast twist, clever marketing. Why not build a WSM? I prefer the SAUM over the WSM in a short light weight gun simply because I think it offers close to the same performance as the wsm with less recoil and better functionality in a short action. You really cannot go wrong with any of them. It is simply a matter of personal preference. For me if I were doing a new short light weight build for a woman or small teenager I would as already stated go primarily with the 7/08 or 260. For elk at 5-600 yards the 260 might be slightly better. Inside 500 I would give the edge to the 08 for energy. In reality depending on how short and light you go the 08 may be the best choice all around.

As far as a light weight stock goes I would look at a Manners Elite Hunter EH1A, 2.9-3.1 lbs loaded. I know you are looking for other options but that stock is hard to beat.

Last edited:
Thanks @Paladin300 definitely interested in the SS. To be clear, she shoots my 28 nosler with no issues at all. Its just a bit bulky for her to carry. I do like 7mm08, but want a bit more for elk. I think the greyboe looks like a great solution for the stock. Those finger grooves would help a lot. Doesnt have to be a short action. Medium action would be fine. Think i am in between the 280AI and 7SS but definitely need more info on SS.

Is good brass available for sherman offerings? Really like the greyboe options. Thanks
Thanks @Paladin300 definitely interested in the SS. To be clear, she shoots my 28 nosler with no issues at all. Its just a bit bulky for her to carry. I do like 7mm08, but want a bit more for elk. I think the greyboe looks like a great solution for the stock. Those finger grooves would help a lot. Doesnt have to be a short action. Medium action would be fine. Think i am in between the 280AI and 7SS but definitely need more info on SS.
Was this for me? Wasn't sure, because I didn't see him mention SS

As the title says im looking to build a custom for my wife. Looking for a caliber recommendation in 6.5 or 7mm that would work well with a 22 or 23" barrel. Probably a proof sendero light. Havent picked an action yet. The rifle will be used for deer elk and bear mainly. We do shoot regularly and she managed to take her elk last year with my rifle @ 500 yds and one perfect shot.

My rifle has a manners EH5 which i feel would be too wide for her. So i am also looking for recommendation on a stock similar to an EH1 but not as wide in the foregrip.

She currently has a 6.5 prc which caliber wise i am set up for. Just not sure on how it would perform with a short barrel.

One stipulation is it must be a caliber i can get good brass for. Lapua,Adg, etc. I dont want to form brass.

Look forward to reading your input, thanks guysView attachment 264523
7/08,
Grayboe stock, Proof 22". Drop the mike................................

If you are willing to step up to a mid length action a 284 win or 280 AI could be the ticket especially if she has no issues with the 28. If you go 23" on the barrel the 280 AI will definitely get it done. I like both the 280AI and the 6.5-06 AI. My wife's 7x57 sports a 23" barrel. It seem to be the perfect balance, not to long or short.

Tempted on 280ai but i guess i may as well stick with 6.5 prc as i have components. Glad to hear it works ok in shorter barrel. Thanks @BrentM I would like to shoot 124 hammers. So 3150 would be ideal.

Input on actions? I like the idea of an action that takes prefits. Has to be fairly light weight. Integral pic and recoil lug a plus. Also intrigued by the switch barrel option with a terminus zeus. Any reports on those?

Tempted on 280ai but i guess i may as well stick with 6.5 prc as i have components. Glad to hear it works ok in shorter barrel. Thanks @BrentM I would like to shoot 124 hammers. So 3150 would be ideal.

Input on actions? I like the idea of an action that takes prefits. Has to be fairly light weight. Integral pic and recoil lug a plus. Also intrigued by the switch barrel option with a terminus zeus. Any reports on those?
I run a bighorn tl3. Imho it does everything a person wants it to do. Prefits, floating head, changeable heads, controlled feed, lug, rail.... absolutely zero regrets.

Attachments

• 16025D4B-FE90-404A-8BF2-E946D38A4938.jpeg
    16025D4B-FE90-404A-8BF2-E946D38A4938.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
6.5 PRC makes sense if you have components and are already set up for it. Otherwise I'd fall into the 7-08 camp as well.