6.5-300 wby pet loads

quarterman

I was wondering if anyone out there was willing to share some of their favorite loads for their 6.5-300 wby. Ive been using a 127 grain barnes LRX over 91.0 grains of US869 and a federal 215 primer. My rifle shoots great with it 3 shot groups are right around 3/4" at 300 yards. The down side is I have experienced these bullets putting pencil holes through animals even when I have shot them through the shoulder blades.(Not expanding) causing me to make multiple follow up shots even when shots are perfectly placed. The longest shot I have taken at an animal with it was 489 yards. I have decided to go to a lead core bullet in this rifleso I know I will have more predictable expansion. On hand I have 143 grain ELD-x, 140 grain gamekings, 140 grain berger hunting vlds and picked up some 130 grain gamechangers yesterday. I didn't have much luck with US869 with any of these and velocities with retumbo were slow. I was thinking of trying reloader 33 as I have some on hand.

Last edited:
This doesn't answer your question, but I would switch to hammer bullets.
are you looking for free bullets Rich ???????:p

I have my first Hammer bullets being delivered now as you have seen on another Forum. I'm looking forward to joining the CULT of Hammer.

I am skeptical as I could not get the Cutting Egde to group worth a dam but I gave up early on them.

Sorry Quarterman we didn't mean to hijack. I'm interested in the 6.5-.300. I had a McWhorter 6.5 Weatherby, (necked up .257 Weatherby) Great round !!!

Not sure which model rifle you are shooting but my ULW finally settled in with a 140gr. Accubond. Load was some where around 71 gr of H-1000. Took forever to find something that would shoot sub moa. ULW found a new home.

are you looking for free bullets Rich ???????:p
Sorry Quarterman we didn't mean to hijack. I'm interested in the 6.5-.300. I had a McWhorter 6.5 Weatherby, (necked up .257 Weatherby) Great round !!!

I have 150 on the way. So free wouldn't help now. My 6.5 Coyle is just about what you are using. It holds about 82 or more grains of water. I use the Sledgehammer 130 grainers.

Not sure which model rifle you are shooting but my ULW finally settled in with a 140gr. Accubond. Load was some where around 71 gr of H-1000. Took forever to find something that would shoot sub moa. ULW found a new home.

Mine is an accumark RC, It is a very finicky cartridge to load for

I just purchased a Weatherby Mk V arroyo in 6.5-300. Since I didnt have any brass I purchased the only available ammo for the rifle. 140gr berger, 140gr Aframes and 130gr sirocco all weatherby amo. None of these shot like I expected this rifle to shoot. The best group was with the Berger. I am still brealking in the barrel so maybe it will settle. Now that I have Brass I was going to load for this rifle and was wanting info on any issues and what powder this big rifle would like. I like to shoot Sierra Game kings. Was looking at the new Game changers. My 257 Wby liked reloader 25.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.