• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

6.5-.284 norma reamer

26Reload

Hey guys..had my 260 remington rechambered to 65284 norma...standard length neck...before I get to crazy shooting it I am wanting to seat those bullets out a bit more...
So I am curious if anyone would lone or rent a chamber reamer or throat reamer for the next neck lenght longer than a sammi 65284 norma...gunsmith up the road just rents parts and pieces and doesn't have the pieces to rework this one... Sammi has a max @3.228..no idea what bullet...but I am well short of that with every bullet I want to shoot..
142 labs seat at 3.1
140acc @ 3.005
140 Berger vld hunters @ 3.095
130acc @ 3.007...
Would like to get the .200" back...
Do these look like the Winchester oal....

Thx Timnterra...I do believe that is where he buys/rents most all his toolings....and was going to get the reamer he purchased from them but they either didn't have it in stock or it wasn't for sale....so he got the PTG chamber reamer from grizzley in nw Washington...
Do you know if that same tool can be used for different calibers by changing the cutting device or does a person have to get an entirely new combo kit.....
And since I wouldn't be changing anything other than the lands does a smith really have to do it....curious...thx

You can rent it from them yourself, it will include all the parts necessary for cutting the throat. Take it slow and measure your progress often. Make sure to use plenty of cutting fluid and never turn the tool backwards!

Sometimes 4d is slow about shipping stuff. They do not mark on their site if a tool is rented out. I would call them to rent the tool and get an accurate time line from them instead of ordering online.

That is awesome info....I will check into it...besides the 65284 the wife's 260 could use a little lengthening...
I asked this a while ago but didn't get an answer...
I know that the pressure is created when bullet hits the lands...but does seating the bullet out further also reduce some of the pressures...isn't that how weatherbys get their speeds way up there...my 7rum is at box max..but the lands hit at the 4" mark...oal is 3.665 for my box....
Thx again...
I'm in Idaho..where you located...

This is a complicated subject but i will try to simplify the answer.
The pressure goes up incrementally as the bullet gets closer to the lands. This is easiest to illustrate with a contraption my high-school had for the running backs to practice in. It was a cage of sorts with padded arms extending to the center that you had to force your way through. If you walked up to the thing and tried to push your way through it it was very difficult. But if you got a running start you could power through. This running start (free bore) reduces overall pressure because the bullet is allowed to start moving with no resistance and develop momentum before hitting the lands. RUM cartridges have long "free bore" to keep pressure down because the designers knew that it could be dangerous, because if you go trying to find the lands pressure spikes quickly since the cases are way oversized for the bore diameter. So the shorter the free bore distance the higher initial pressure will be with the same load. The only two reasons to lengthen a throat are 1. To reduce pressure as in the RUM cartridges and 2. To get a longer bullet out of the case, lending more case capacity. The 284 was initially a SA cartridge and SAAMI Specs probably (i haven't looked) make the 6.5-284 a short action cartridge as well. You know that it makes no sense to build a 6.5-284 on a short action with today's long High BC bullets, because half the bullet will be sticking below the shoulder of the case defeating the purpose of using the bigger case. By extending the throat of your 6.5-284 you will gain more case capacity that is all. Often times accuracy is helped by seating bullets to the lands so a throat short-enough to reach the lands and still feed from the magazine is a good thing. I had the same problem when i built a 300wsm on a long action. I didn't think, and used a saami reamer and guess what happened? Long bullets had to be seated way down into the case because it was intended to be a SA cartridge. By the way the 260 has the same problem in short actions as the 6.5-284 because they are almost the same length. Hope that helps
Im in the black hills of South Dakota i would love to visit Idho some day!

Understand the anology quite well....momentum allows for the bullet to squeeze thru the opening with faster insertion creating less drag on the riflng....slower bullet more pressure...very slow bullet no release of fired gases and explosion.....
I want to shoot the 140 accubonds in the 65..but wow they are wwaayyy inside the body.....need them forward a long ways....to make me feel comfortable....
Black Hills....dinosaur country....my son would love it there...
Idaho is okay..we live near Pocatello....since we didn't shoot deer here last year for mulies we went north for whitetail....didn't shoot one there either.... but its lots of fun to go try...saw a couple little bucks...son wouldn't shoot the spike and my hand brace screwed me on a decent little buck....snagged the safety..couldn't get it off...
There are several lakes and streams around for fishing...last summer we picked on large and smallmouth bass....large were easier to teach the kid catching techniques...he can feed himself now if need be.....

That's cool, I've heard there are big elk in Idaho if you are willing to work for it. I've only ever been able to hunt cow elk here because the limited number of tags. I have aspirations of tagging a nice bull some day but it's probably going to have to be somewhere other than SD. I'm a terrible fisherman but I have fun on the water anyway. There are some pretty lakes around here, my favorite is called Pactola, I've caught bass, pike, rainbow trout and sunfish. But mostly I just cast and retrieve.

I know there's some bulls out there...I saw some while mzldr hunting for a cow...decent bulls..but nothing monstrous...have only seen one true monster here..last deer season, last weekend...he was huge...no tag...couldn't find anyone with a tag...watched it walk into a little patch of timber..right above a road....bummer....
I keep watching for bigfoot too...about same odds for me....

The reason most of the manufacturers, and many gunsmiths cut throats short of SAMMI specs by .050"-01"+ is to allow room to seat your bullet out further and still have enough neck as throat erosion occurs, a common practice with competitive shooters to gain extra barrel life. The COAL's that you list are quite typical of the reamers used. I personally have not seen materially different results in accuracy, velocity, and ES having used 6.5x284 chambers across this range, with Berger VLD 140's at 3.1" being my preference.

Morning Greyfox...thx for that info...
I doubt that I will ever have to chase the throat of any rifle I shoot...
Not a hot rodder...and would prefer meat over total devastation...
Too many rifles and never the right time to shoot....just got finished cleaning the driveways again of snow....twice since having my wrist surgery....so my left arm will either look like Popeye's arms or need surgery on it too.......come on spring....
Haven't physically looked at my dummy cartridges today..but the 140acc seat further into the case than the boattail of the vlds...
The lrab seat forward of the acc....but with the experience of the 7rum on the elk this year, I doubt there would be much difference of meat loss shooting 142lrabs.....I would like the acc base to seat closer to the neck/shouler....just feel more comfortable in that regard....not trying to run them into the neck...I like the idea of gases pushing from the end..not so much on the sides of the bullet...