6.5 284 load

700LTR

I've just had a rifle built on a winchester model 70 action in 6.5 284 with a shillin 26" barrel fitted and is sitting in a mcmillan A4 tactical stock and have topped it off with a nightforce 5.5-22x56.
What im after is the best long range killing load as i intend to use it for long range hunting i've heard the Berger 140gr VLD is meant to be pretty good for a bullet but what powder etc. i have Nosler custom brass for it. Any help would be great.

Small world, welcome to the forum

I am sure you will get some great advice here, failing that head into Hamills on Bridge Street, Dean has been doing some shooting with a new Shultz and Larsen 6.5x.284 with great accuracy. He is handloading for that.

Cheers, Steve

Its Matt P here Steve, yeah i spoke to dean thats what gave me the idea of having the rifle bulit he's going to bring a few rounds back from the coast for me to try. give me a yell if you wan to go for a shot some time.

Its Matt P here Steve, yeah i spoke to dean thats what gave me the idea of having the rifle bulit he's going to bring a few rounds back from the coast for me to try. give me a yell if you wan to go for a shot some time.

Always keen for a shot, in fact I am sneaking away today!. If you want Hogdon powder there is a guy down Otago selling it at a good price. He has a sales rep coming down from North Island in one week with the powder which saves heaps on freight.
If you want his number give me a bell, Steve

I have (2) 6.5-.284's that I use, one for woodchucks out to 1000 and deer out to 800, the other for paper punching at 1000 yards. I'm shooting 140g Hornady A-Max and 142 SMK's with a Federal 210 primer, 53.0g and 53.2 H4831sc in Lapua brass. I'm getting good ES and SD with a AV of 2990 fps. in both. This load is safe in my rifle but I would reccomend backing down and working your way up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.