5R Rifling VS Standard

Elite Muzzleloader

I have researched the specifics of 5R but I'm curious if the same twist rate in 5R would stabilize better than same twist rate in a standard rifled barrel.

Reason I ask is I have 1-10" 7 mag with 5R rifling and want to try the 150 Barnes long range bullets or the Nosler long range AccuBond bullets. Just curious if the 5R would have a better chance of stabilizing them than standard rifling?

I have researched the specifics of 5R but I'm curious if the same twist rate in 5R would stabilize better than same twist rate in a standard rifled barrel.

Reason I ask is I have 1-10" 7 mag with 5R rifling and want to try the 150 Barnes long range bullets or the Nosler long range AccuBond bullets. Just curious if the 5R would have a better chance of stabilizing them than standard rifling?

YMMV, esp with 1:10"; it would not be my 1st choice for the .284 cal esp on heavier and longer bullets and take advantage of the high BC bullet offerings. Bryan Litz tested the 150 LRAB using 1:9" and barely making the recommended SG of 1.5 or greater >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-lr-accubonds-bc-testing-results-137554/

One thing that might help with the SG is the altitude, try using Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets using your own data.

Good luck!

Ed

The configuration of the rifling will not help with stability. 10" twist is 10" twist.

Let your rifle be what it is and load it to shoot really flat out to 500 or so yards. We just started load development for a customer rifle that is 7mag with 10" twist. Is what it is and that rifle is now running our 131g Hammer Hunter at near 3400fps. At 1000ft elev. this would give you a point blank range hunting rig out to 400y and enough retained velocity to hunt to 700y.

10" twist in 7mm is designed to be a flat shooter out to mid/long range.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts