58-75gr projectiles in 6 Ceedmoor?

Huntinglife

Has anyone ran 58-75gr projectiles with a saami 6 Creedmoor chamber? If so how did they do in it? I'm worried about the .183 freebore being too much for that weight range. I am looking at putting together a new coyote gun and wanting something flat shooting with more knockdown than the 223. This will be a 1:8 twist barrel 18" long and running a suppressor full time.

I was also wanting to shoot up to 105gr. projectiles in the off season with it. I only hunt coyotes 2 months of the year and would like to be able to use it for deer season and long range steel during the other parts of the year

You might be surprised at the 105's performance on coyotes if you don't hit larger bone structures or the stomach.

I shoot the 105 Hybs in my 24" 6CM @ 3188fps. They CRUSH coyotes out to 921 yards so far. Anything under 700 is like cheating with them. Dumped two of them 2 weeks ago. 585 and 888 yards.

Load some up and try them.

They'll either not mind the jump, or they will.

Personally though I'd say why bother? The 105 hybrids are a great bullet. The 108 Hornadys (for coyotes at least), are even better.

Last edited:
The purpose of the lighter bullets is because it will only be for night hunting with thermal. At night with thermal you have no depth perception and have a really hard time judging how far away they are, so the flatter shooting the better. If it was for daytime then yeah I would just shoot the heavier projectiles and dial for drop if needed.

Sorry, my memory failed me.
Now that I have my log book in front of me I see that they were 80grn hammers over 45.0grns of RL-16. And I didn't clock them. I do have some old Berger 71grn MEFs over H4350 and Rs Hunter waiting to test and 62grn Barnes over IMR 8208.

The purpose of the lighter bullets is because it will only be for night hunting with thermal. At night with thermal you have no depth perception and have a really hard time judging how far away they are, so the flatter shooting the better. If it was for daytime then yeah I would just shoot the heavier projectiles and dial for drop if needed.
I use 69 Absolute Hammers with my 22" suppressed 6 CM thermal rifle, they steam along at 3850 fps, 400 faster than the 80 TTSX

I use a rangefinder & can easily point & shoot out to 375-400 yards with no holdover :cool:

Holdover is difficult at night with no idea of the exact size of the target

I use 69 Absolute Hammers with my 22" suppressed 6 CM thermal rifle, they steam along at 3850 fps, 400 faster than the 80 TTSX

I use a rangefinder & can easily point & shoot out to 375-400 yards with no holdover :cool:

Holdover is difficult at night with no idea of the exact size of the target
Thank you. Thats a nice load for night hunting. Just what I am looking for. How do those group in your rifle? Also do you know what freebore your chamber has?