50 Beowulf liberty barrel question

Has anyone built one with this barrel? If so what kind of accuracy can I expect? Thanks
Yes, a 16" carbine on an AA upper using a Liberty threaded barrel I found on Gunbroker. It was unfired. I don't see a difference in accuracy compared to my factory "entry" AA 16" carbine.

The 50 Beowulf's accuracy is primarily limited by the ballistics of the short fat bullets necessary to fit in an AR-15 magazine and the straight wall cartridge design which doesn't headspace well and be adequately crimped at the same time. I expect about 2MOA at 200 yards with AA factory ammo. Any 50 Beowulf ammo is likely to have poor wind deflection and velocity dispersion compared to other common hunting ammo.

The 50 Beowulf's accuracy is primarily limited by the ballistics of the short fat bullets necessary to fit in an AR-15 magazine and the straight wall cartridge design which doesn't headspace well and be adequately crimped at the same time. I expect about 2MOA at 200 yards with AA factory ammo. Any 50 Beowulf ammo is likely to have poor wind deflection and velocity dispersion compared to other common hunting ammo.[/QUOTE]

That right there is exactly why I ended up with the 458 Socom. Just a much better round than the wolf. I have had both and the zoom won out for me.

After reading the last post I maid my mind up. I ordered a 458 socom kit From Wilson its a 11month wait on it but they say its worth it I hope. Any experience with 450 bushmaster?

You made the right choice. Yes I have some experience with the 450 as a very good friend has one. Its like the little brother to the 458. The 450 is priced right and ammo is easy to find. The problem is finding good bullets hornady's are to soft in my book great expansion but not great penetration. Now the Remington accutips show real promise in that round. I waited 14 months for my 458 and glad I did. I was able to kill three nice sized pigs in one shot the first time I took it out.
Also if you don't mind spending coin on bullets check out the cutting edge bullets 458 Sodom.

The 458 SOCOM is the way to go in a Big Bore AR. I've been shooting a RRA Mid-Length upper on a lower that I built for several years with no problems to speak of.
I did need to cut a half-moon out of the front of the magazines,the bolt would push the nose of the last round downward when loading,and cut a big chunk out of the bullet.
I usually shoot the 300 gr HP bullets for target's,and 300 gr Nosler Silvertips & 325 gr Hornady FTX's for my hunting loads. It also shoots the Remington 405 gr bullets really good.

I use a regular AR-15 buffer spring,the heavier spring that came with the RRA 458 upper caused cycling problems,as it is too stiff.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.