5.56 ar max loads

gohring3006

My brother and father inlaws have a brilliant idea of maxing out charges without working up they say say that the ar can handle the pressure I say bull chit I know its 4198 imr and 60gr.vmax not sure the charge weight but they say its slightly compressed so I told them I'm not going to be any where near that gun when they shoot it what do you guys think they are doing the same with there glock .40 and 10mm I never have seen the biggest disregard for proven safe practices in my life

While Im unfamiliar with the components they are using, I know with some of the slower powders such as Varget you simply cant get enough powder in the .223rem sized case to cause overpressure issues.
Of course the decision to not work up to that load is ill advised at best.

I just looked up the burn rate of IMR4198 and it is a fairly fast burning powder, IMRs website lists the max load for .223rem w/ 60gr bullet as 19.5gr and NOT being compressed.

Might be scary!

It could damage the gas tube or mess up the bolt if its gas impingement. Also, why are they doing that? It's not like they are shooting ELR or trying to take down large game. I would recommend your fam not to shoot it. I have seen guns blow up at the range before. No one was hurt but it was scary. My dad has a friend who would reload and sell ammo for the CQC pistol competitions and after a couple of months of him doing that he owed several of his buddies new pistols. Good luck convincing them!

It could damage the gas tube or mess up the bolt if its gas impingement. Also, why are they doing that? It's not like they are shooting ELR or trying to take down large game. I would recommend your fam not to shoot it. I have seen guns blow up at the range before. No one was hurt but it was scary. My dad has a friend who would reload and sell ammo for the CQC pistol competitions and after a couple of months of him doing that he owed several of his buddies new pistols. Good luck convincing them!

Its a colt LE not sure which if it is piston or the other type I'd be willing to bet they are leaving the accuracy node behind with a lesser charge I know they are using mixed range brass its crazy but they look at me like I'm stupid for doing load work up and looking at my primers and case heads checking for pressure. I like to shoot to 1000 but none of my loads are max loads the accuracy not there...

In 1982 at the range qual for our unit at camp pen. I had the honor of having an AR blow apart right underneath my right eye. Decision was bad ammo. Please tell them to not be stupid. In this case stupid hurts.

Pretty Obvious your wife got all the brains in the family......My wife too!...My In Laws are idiots!

My brother and father inlaws have a brilliant idea of maxing out charges without working up they say say that the ar can handle the pressure I say bull chit I know its 4198 imr and 60gr.vmax not sure the charge weight but they say its slightly compressed so I told them I'm not going to be any where near that gun when they shoot it what do you guys think they are doing the same with there glock .40 and 10mm I never have seen the biggest disregard for proven safe practices in my life

Bottom line; "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".. stick to the book and work up slow when looking for maximum loads in your rifle, or any firearm for that matter

Cheer's

Bottom line; "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".. stick to the book and work up slow when looking for maximum loads in your rifle, or any firearm for that matter

Cheer's

Yep I agree, I like to add "******* doesn't live long"

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.