460 Rowland

Many thanks. I did go on Rowland's web site. I'm buying the conversion. I know the 1911 pretty well and will have no problem doing the work. I use my Dillon press for 45acp. Sounds like I can adjust it for the Rowland? Do you find it needs the compensator Or can you shoot it comfortably without it? Big improvement on recoil?

I'm pretty sure Rowland says the compensator is mandatory and recoil buffers recommended for the 1911.

You may also want to consider a flat firing pin stop as well.

I will weigh in on this because I own all of the cartridges mentioned and I live and hunt in Grizzly country. I am actually going to be setting up my bear bait this weekend in an are where there are just as many Griz as there are black bears. I agree with JE Custom that the 10mm is enough to kill a Griz... it is not my first choice, especially if said bear sees me as it next meal. I choose 460 Rowland, Mine is in an XD and 13 rounds of near 44 mag performance makes a guy feel good that being said, are you comfortble with an auto loader and the reliability of whatever you choose? a good ol wheel gun in 44 mag or bigger should not be overlooked in my opinion. and make sure its in a holster designed for accessibility in the activity that you choose.

Does anybody have any experience with this caliber? Trying to decide between this and the 10mm for side arm for bear. Don't care about reloading or the cost of ammunition. Want the best caliber for the job.

The 10mm will do the job and I highly recommend buying a Glock or similar package. You need to have a light on the gun due to walking out and in while it is still dark. It is critical that you have a gun that you can shoot quickly and accurately and the Glock will fit this bill.

Has anyone looked into the 9mm Dillion or 40 super?
I would not recommend those for bear or anything else dangerous in the woods. I've had more close calls with moose than bears where I live. Last year a guy got run up a tree by an average sow black bear and he had already hit her with several rounds from his .40 S&W on her initial charge. He finished her when she came up the tree after him. Lucky his low powered pistol had 15 rounds in it, and lucky he had enough time to get multiple rounds into the bear. If he was surprised by the bear in the brush he would have been mauled. My vote is carry the largest caliber you can shoot and don't worry about the round count. One crushing bullet impact is better than spray and pray. I carry a 44 mag or 45 Colt with high pressure handloads. 10mm was designed for shooting 2 leg varmints so I would be hesitant to use anything smaller.

I would not recommend those for bear or anything else dangerous in the woods. I've had more close calls with moose than bears where I live. Last year a guy got run up a tree by an average sow black bear and he had already hit her with several rounds from his .40 S&W on her initial charge. He finished her when she came up the tree after him. Lucky his low powered pistol had 15 rounds in it, and lucky he had enough time to get multiple rounds into the bear. If he was surprised by the bear in the brush he would have been mauled. My vote is carry the largest caliber you can shoot and don't worry about the round count. One crushing bullet impact is better than spray and pray. I carry a 44 mag or 45 Colt with high pressure handloads. 10mm was designed for shooting 2 leg varmints so I would be hesitant to use anything smaller.
I hear you load on clear. I carry a 629 often. I horse pack wrangle for an outfitter some times. Never needed a side arm except for taking care of horses n mules when that unfortunate situation happens. My 10MM 1911 5" in a cross draw is pretty comfortable. I've got a 10MM and a 45acp. The 45 acp IMO is useless for what I do. I'll gladly change it to a 460 Rowland to make it more usable as an option for side carry. Thanks for all the info. Good stuff for sure

I have both in a Glock and while I love the 460 when I go out west the 10mm is what I take as I can put more rounds on target faster with that.

Has anyone looked into the 9mm Dillion or 40 super?
9mm Dillon is really interesting but just because the velocity is very high and it shoots very flat. I wouldn't try it on bear.

The 40 super is a bottleneck, like an overgrown 357 Sig, it might be a little more powerful than 10mm but probably a lot less common than 460 Rowland. It's not in any way comparable to .40 S&W.

On the topic of ammo availability, 10mm is by far more common than 460 Rowland but ammo suitable for bear protection is going to be a hand load or something like Buffalo Bore that you aren't likely to find on many shelfs except maybe in bear country.

I have made several trips to the Alaska bush and usually carry my Dan Wesson .445 Supermag loaded with 300 hard cast lead. The last trip I carried my Glock 20 10 MM loaded with Heavy 10 MM Buffalo Bore 200 grain FMJ-FP. I believe either would be potent Bear Medicine but luckily I did not have to find out. :)

Last edited:
I have made several trips to the Alaska bush and usually carry my Dan Wesson .445 Supermag loaded with 300 hard cast lead. The last trip I carried my Glock 20 10 MM loaded with Heavy 10 MM Buffalo Bore 300 grain FMJ-FP. I believe either would be potent Bear Medicine but luckily I did not have to find out. :)

300 grain 10mm rounds?

I'm guessing he meant 200 gr 10mm. Anyway, 10mm is too light for me. Moose, bears, and wounded wild hog, are getting nothing less than a 250gr hardcast bullet (prefer 300 grs) from me. If I were going to use a semiauto the 460 Rowland would get my vote.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.