460 Rowland

I have two .460 Rowland's. One one a 1911 Les Baer and one on a SA 5.25 XDM. I shot their 230 gr. hardcast bullets through an 8 inch diameter pine tree- not a bear skull- but mighty impressive. I tried doing the same with a .45 acp (same tree) 230 grain hard cast, did not make it through the tree.

I have two .460 Rowland's. One one a 1911 Les Baer and one on a SA 5.25 XDM. I shot their 230 gr. hardcast bullets through an 8 inch diameter pine tree- not a bear skull- but mighty impressive. I tried doing the same with a .45 acp (same tree) 230 grain hard cast, did not make it through the tree.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to get 2 frozen bone in hams to shoot. So I can see what it and my wife's 10mm do with several different loads.

I shoot hardcast in any sidearm i carry for bear--it also depends on the barrel length though too
my 10mm shoots 200wfn's at 1300 or 180's at 1400
my 45 Colt shoots 325's @ 1140 or 265's @ 1275
and my 44m shoots 240's @ 1230

longer barrel in the 10mm (but shorter and lighter with more rounds than the other 2)
average/ mid length barrel in the 45C
short barrel in the 44 mag

thought about doing a 460R conversion, but the cost seemed to be a hindrance as the others were much cheaper for me

I have a Clark Custom 460 Rowland. I use a Diamond D holster and my binocular harness has a place to carry it(Eberlestock Nosegunner). 460 Rowland and a 45 ACP have the same OAL. You can shoot 45 ACP in a 460 Rowland but you can't shoot a 460 Rowland in a 45 ACP (longer case on the Rowland) I like being able to shoot 45ACP in the Rowland for practice. Recoil is manageable. I would compare it to 10mm heavy loads. I have not tried it on a bear but it will blow straight through the head or body of a 200# hog.

Imagine this guy coming around a tree and being startled by you....can you react in time?
Two bounds...

I have looked at .460 Rowland conversion for a 1911. Haven't made up my mind yet...

I carry a John Linebaugh built .500 Linebaugh with cast 440s at 1200 FPS or cast 525s at 950 FPS in a Diamond D Leather Guides Choice chest holster when I am out and about on the trails on the Northfork.
Also have dog or two along.

I've been reloading for the 460Rowland. Didn't care for the compensator too much on my Kimber Gold Match. A lot of length in that pistol. Sold it to my Buddy who owns Diamond D Leather. Ordered a long slide Kimber which doesn't need a compensator. I'll be happy with the outcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.