• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

460 Rowland

If this is here after i put together my rifle and new kit,I am so going to buy this.

How is the functioning? As in is it realistically reliable in the real world dirty environment? I don't have a great bear backup gun, going to grizzly country with a friend this year hopefully to get him a moose. I don't like how revolvers fit in my hand, love my 1911's so the 460 is the obvious choice.

Personally, if this is going to be used mainly for self defense/protection from bears: as you've already alluded to, since function reliability of any auto is always suspect due to a myriad of reasons, I'd go with a revolver. It's more important that the gun goes "bang" rather than be comfortable. I own several automatics myself but in your situation, I'd be packing a wheel gun. Just the opinion of an old guy that has had too many failures with autos in his lifetime.

I hear what you're saying, but if I can't hit what is coming at me it won't do any good either, I'm less concerned about failures with automatics, I'm experienced with field cleaning and keeping maintenance up, I was more concerned with this particular handgun as I see it has been worn.

Is it all steel? Colt Lightweight Governments have an aluminum frame.

A magnet sticks to ALL metal parts on this pistol: the lower frame, and slide ( the part with the stamping " Lightweight Gov't Model" ) .................. with the exception of the back strap only. This would not handle the pressures of a 460 Rowland if even the frame were "aluminum". Clark would have not attempted the work whatsoever.
Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Keep looking at this interesting pistol. Can you give some background on the age, use, etc. of the Colt used for this conversion? Was it new? Was is originally purchased by you just for this project? Besides the conversion itself, did Clarke need to address any items to bring it up to current standards. Thanks.