450 bushmaster 300 grain cast load data

muskrat7387

I was wanting to know if anyone had load data for 300 grain cast bullet gas checked sized to .452 the powder I will be using is imr 4227 any help would be great thanks.

I was wanting to know if anyone had load data for 300 grain cast bullet gas checked sized to .452 the powder I will be using is imr 4227 any help would be great thanks.

Is the rifle an AR ?

If so, led bullets and gas checks are problematic In gas guns.

Swift, Speer and barns make 300 and 325 grain Jacketed pistol bullets that work in the 450 bushmaster.

I tried some 325s and they will stop a train. The down side is lots of recoil.

Just a suggestion

J E CUSTOM

Yes its for an ar. Another question tho I have load for years and never had the problem I'm having now I just started loading for the 450 got a set of hornday dies loading 300 grain hornday HP and when I chamber one in my ar they stick and I have to pry it open. They drop in perfect and fall out free. But if I charge it it does this. I done a marker test it rubs off towards the base of the case. Do I need to get a different shell holder? Or is it something I'm doing wrong? Also loading for the 458 socom it doing the same thing.

Yes its for an ar. Another question tho I have load for years and never had the problem I'm having now I just started loading for the 450 got a set of hornday dies loading 300 grain hornday HP and when I chamber one in my ar they stick and I have to pry it open. They drop in perfect and fall out free. But if I charge it it does this. I done a marker test it rubs off towards the base of the case. Do I need to get a different shell holder? Or is it something I'm doing wrong? Also loading for the 458 socom it doing the same thing.

Make sure that the brass is trimmed about .020shorter than the chamber. (Take a fired case and make sure that a bullet will go in it with no trouble. If not the brass is to long and is crimping the case as you chamber it. this is another place that carbon builds up and needs to be cleaned often
on the gas guns that are blow back operated.

On rimed cases they head space on the rim and you can size all the way to the rim if your dies will let you. If they wont, take a few Thousandths of the face of the shell holder or the end of the die.(
preferred so the shell holder will work on the other cases. then adjust the die down a few thousandths and try it.

If this doesn't fix it you may have a carbon build up in the chamber and a good cleaning is in order with a carbon remover.

J E CUSTOM

Is the rifle an AR ?

If so, led bullets and gas checks are problematic In gas guns.

Swift, Speer and barns make 300 and 325 grain Jacketed pistol bullets that work in the 450 bushmaster.

I tried some 325s and they will stop a train. The down side is lots of recoil.

Just a suggestion

J E CUSTOM

Could you elaborate? My father shoots only cast through his 300B and loves it. He has not had many problems but I do not know the current round count down the tube. This is his first AR platform rifle. He shoots both 150 and 220's out of his rifle, all gas checked. The 150 is actually the most accurate round in my brothers 300B and he loads anything from 110 TNT's up to 230 Sierra's, as well as the two lead loads my father shoots.

Another thing to think about, which once again, my father has gotten into, is powder coating his bullets. I believe he spends most of his time on cast boolits, and it is a fairly common practice there. May be a good place to look for lead info. I do not know the hardness he is casting his 150's at, but we shoot all the way up to 500 SW cast with gas check in a single shot rifle, and we don't load them down. He is working on a 1800fps 338 Win Mag plinking load as well.

My brother shoots .45 ACP lead through his Vector Kriss Pistol as well and doesn't have any problems. I am just wondering what issues people are seeing with their own lead loads, not just from what they hear from people who may not be water quelching and baking their lead loads. In my opinion, its the same as load development for long range shots. You can't just blindly follow what everyone else says, but try for yourself.

I say get a bit more information on cast shooting and try it out for yourself. Check out the specialty cast loading websites and see what they recommend.

I am not trying to be a tool or anything, I am just curious as to how much real world feedback from use says that you can't cast in a gas gun..

SHM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.