.45 ACP Powder

Which Powder for .45 ACP

• Total voters
My 1991A1 loves Bullseye.
After being smithed for Bullseye shooting, this gun will hold the X ring of the regulation Bullseye target at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest.
If only I could shoot half as well as the gun can.

3.8 grs. of Bullseye
Lyman 452460 cast from wheelweights with 1.5% tin added. Sized to .452, Blue Angel lube.
Federal LPP
Starline brass
Taper crimped to .470 OD at case mouth.

I would really like to try TiteGroup, but I still have 6 lbs of Bullseye left in the 8 lb. jug.
At only 3.8 grains per load, it's going to last a while! :D

I have a couple friends who shoot thousands of rounds a year in USPSA that swear by Titegroup. I may have to try it once I burn up the jug of Bullseye.

IDPA and 3 gun is where I settled on Titegroup. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I have pushed with that stuff. I tried Clays Universal, power pistol, bullseye, ... and still have afew cans of that stuff around but I just liked Titegroup better. For action pistol stuff its great.

Win 231 for me. Hodgdons HP38 seems to be identical to this since the Hodgdon recipie book shows the same dosage for max and starting loads and velocities. I have never used the HP but I have a pound I will be trying soon.

I recently tried Power Pistol (9.5gn) in between a 185gn Speer Gold Dot HP and Winchester LP primers. Works great through my Kimber Pro Carry II at 1.240". I have used Bullseye and Unique for various bullet weights. Like'm all.....JohnnyK.

w231, not for any special reason though. Maybe I'll try the titegroup next, although I don't shoot pistol that much so a single pound will take me awhile to burn up. Of course, I'm having my pistol jazzed up at Springer Precision:), so maybe I'll shoot it more once I get it back...lightbulb

I find 231 best for autos and use it in 45, 9mm and 380 auto. It's clean and burns well in shorter barrels.

I've used W231 for the last 10 years. It burns very clean, and works great on all of my 45 ACP loads. I've never tried Titegroup with the 45 ACP. However, Titegroup was by far the best when accuracy testing my particular 40 S&W.

- Innovative

Clays is very clean.

+1 on that.
I've never used it in a 45, but I have used Clays and International Clays in my trap loads, and it burns very clean in my 12 gauge.
After shooting 100 singles, 100 handicap, and 100 doubles the only thing I can see in my barrels is some plastic fouling from the wads.

I shot ppc for years tested every **** powder I could get my hands on.I tested the powder and ammo combinatin in a ransom rest.I found that there were several powers that did very well.I settled on W-231(hp-38 same thing)very good results and it will stay the same at the end of a keg(8 lbs).While numbers are not always impressive I have loaded over 500,000 rounds with W-231. Bill NRA Dist #107

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.