44mm vs 56mm objective, need advice

Gar Guru

I am about to pull the trigger on a Leupold VX5 and it is offered in both configurations but was wondering the pros and cons of a 56mm since I have never owned anything larger than 50mm. Thanks

56mm will allow for greater light transmission which will be noticeable at dawn and dusk, however, due to the larger bell you'll have to mount higher which could affect cheek weld. Which is more important?
It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and perhaps assist you with your purchase. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000
Have a great day
Doug

Some people say that only youngsters with very good vision can reap the benefits of extra light transmission and that most peoples eyes cant get all the light transmitted through a standard 40mm objective. Wondering if light transmission is a marketing hype?

It is to bad Leupold would not use their half moon objective on all 56mm scopes. Personally I think you would benifit from the 56 on that scope.

My optometrist is a shooter, says there is no need for the large lens, your eye won't adjust to accommodate it anyway. Problem is not with engineering it is physiology.

If you think you might someday want to do a hunt by horseback, you will not want a 56 mm scope under your leg in a scabbard. 40mm is about as much as you want for that.

I hunt from deer stands in TX and LA (mostly flat and not a lot of walking). My 56mm 2.5x10 Trigicon is great in the twilight down in the woods: Always in search of "more light." I set the power at about 3x: no shots over 200yds and mostly under 100yds with my 358 Winchester. I don't worry about eye height: cheek on or off the stock, makes no difference to me.

I read a few years ago that anything over 42-44 mm was not perceptible to the human eye.
I wish Leupold would use a little common sense with their product lines. 4-20 is a great scope range for hunting. While a relatively small group of shooters regularly shoot out to 1000 plus yards, the vast majority of hunters shoot 500 or less. Many hunters only shoot a couple boxes of ammo per year. So, adding 34mm tubes is a disservice because mounts get much more expensive and most folks don't need more than 2 revs (1 is probably more than enough) on the elevation turret. Then putting a 56mm objective throws the cheek weld off.
My heart was set on the vx5hd 4-20 until I saw tube and objective diameter.

Bigger sucks more evening light in from my hunting experiences. I have 44, 50, 56, in several optics and the Valdada Recon G2 pulls the light in at dusk far betterthan my Primary Arms 44. I have a 50 that has no tunneling and a 50 from thesame manufacture that does.

I read a few years ago that anything over 42-44 mm was not perceptible to the human eye.
I wish Leupold would use a little common sense with their product lines. 4-20 is a great scope range for hunting. While a relatively small group of shooters regularly shoot out to 1000 plus yards, the vast majority of hunters shoot 500 or less. Many hunters only shoot a couple boxes of ammo per year. So, adding 34mm tubes is a disservice because mounts get much more expensive and most folks don't need more than 2 revs (1 is probably more than enough) on the elevation turret. Then putting a 56mm objective throws the cheek weld off.
My heart was set on the vx5hd 4-20 until I saw tube and objective diameter.
My 1960's Weaver K4 is still a fine hunting scope for most purposes, small and tough. Going back to the peep sight on my AR-10: simple and tough is good.

.... the Valdada Recon G2 pulls the light in at dusk far betterthan my Primary Arms 44....

Ken, I don't for a minute doubt your experience with this/these optics, but comparing an IOR to a PA is not really a fair comparison (in my opinion).

That said, my 50-something year old eyes really appreciate good glass far more than they did in my 20's and 30's. My advice to the OP is to buy the best you can afford...

Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.