444 brass assistance

JBDekes

I am wondering if anyone has 1 piece of 444 marlin brass they would be willing to sell me?

I would like to verify the fit in my 410 shotgun, prior to me starting a very difficult search for a few hundred shells. My intention is to make paper wadded loads and using overshot cards to create non toxic shells for an area that I have found that requires non toxic shot and no- plastic wads. I understand there is likely a wonder why not just use plastic hulls-- let's just say hulls and primers are impossible to find right now, but have the rest of the parts already.

Thank you for any assistance provided.

Best Regards,
Justin

I have some, and use them for brass 410 shells. I also have made them from .303 British cases, but they are shorter. I believe I used a 7mm rem mag die to roll crimp the end over the shot card.. Pm me your address and I'll drop one in the mail for you.

Last edited:
CKGWorks-
I had another member contact me and this is covered. THANK YOU for the offer.

If you don't mind me asking, any pics of a finished "crimp"? Was thinking of some a light taper, with OS card, then a light glue to seal it off. I didn't really think about crimping as I was concerned of a brass failure and over-pressure. Once I verify chamber fit and component stack, planned on sending a few loads off for pressure testing, make sure I don't do something stupid.

Also- THANK YOU to the member LL for reaching out and offering a few pieces of brass up!!!

Greatly appreciate all the assistance guys. Thank You

I'll dig when I get home and try get some pictures......the case hit the shoulder of the 7mm die and rounded over slightly holding the os card, I then wiped it flush with wax to give it a bit of a seal. I played with this for a bit, until my nephew ended up with the 410......mine is currently in the project pile waiting for a stock. I tried them in 3 different shotguns and there did seem to be some variation in the allowable rim thickness. Some were definitely tight.

I don't know if this may be of interest. But, here are a couple of sites that may help you! memtb

See if this is clear......it's before wax is wiped on. Out of 3 tested, only 1 would accept 303 or 444 brass without thinning of the rim......very easy in a metal lathe, but I also did it on a wood lathe just to see it could be done. It's not much you need to take off. I have always wanted to get some 9.3x74r, as I think this would be the most ideal case to start with, but they are pricey. 303 require alot of work, and if you're not careful, will fireform off center. My shotgun reloading stuff is packed up now, so I can't get other pictures......but in a pinch, a sharpened 44 mag case will cut wads and even OS cards. I used cork wads for filling the case up. If I can help in any other way, let me know. I pretty much used plastic hull data as the brass case is much stronger and I really was just loading grouse loads/Plinking.

Attachments

• 20210424_164432.jpg
    20210424_164432.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.