40moa base

.308 reloader

I was out in Texas and tried my hand at 1,000 yards. I was successful but ran in to a couple things. My scope ran out of elevation. I shoot a .308 Savage model 10T with EGW 20moa base, TPS rings and a falcon optics menace 5.5x25x56 it's specs. Say it has 19mil of elevation I ran out at 9.5 mil so I had to hold over 1.0 mil. To get to 10.5 mil my ballistics calculator said I needed. My question is if I went with a 40 MOA base would that solve my elevation run out issue or is it time to to go and get a different optic. After hitting the gong at 1,000 I want to shoot this distance much more. If any of you long range shooters out there could coach me up! Or point me in the right direction I am a willing student.....thanks in advance for your comments.

In rough numbers, if your scope has 19 mil elevation you'll get 9.5 mil (about 34 moa) to either side of center and working out that close to the limits of the lens your image clarity won't be very good. If you've got a scope with 19 mil elevation a 20 moa base should take care of any adjustment you could possibly need out to 1K for that .308. A 40 moa base would take you too far in the opposite direction and you'd just create another problem trying to get it down for shooting at shorter distances. gun)

I'm learning too but I do things in MOA. Together we may be able to figure this out.

First thing's first; it would be nice to know your zero distance before you start clicking up to 1,000.

carrying on in study hall...

If you needed to come up 10.5 mil I calculate that you needed ~36.1 MOA adjustment. Now I can presume you're using a 300 yard zero because that is my click value to come up for my Savage 308 starting with a 300 yard zero to get to 1,000. Actually it's 36.2, but I just count 145 clicks (1/4 moa per click) on my turret. This always gets me on target. I may make single click adjustments from there.

Since you're using a 20 MOA base you should have already had the scope dialed down that far to get back to rifle zero, then click up ~5 MOA to get the 300 yard zero. 20-5 means 15 MOA left to go to get the scope's reticle back to it's mechanical center. Subtract 15 MOA from 36.1....and you truly needed to come up only 21.1 MOA (6.1 mil) from center of the scope's reticle zero. Yes you still had to click up and count 36 MOA (10.5 mil) but you should've been starting from the other side of the reticle center and had plenty of room if your scope's specs are true.

I shoot a 308 to 1,000 starting with a 300 yard zero and using a scope with a total of 70 MOA height adjustment (35 up, 35 down) on a 20 MOA base and never ran into maximum click value of the scope.

Experts, am I missing something?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.