4064 for 223

Ghostwolf308

So I currently use varget to load for my 308 but am switching to IMR4064 due to local availability. I have read that you can use 4064 for the 223 as well. Anyone use IMR4064 for an AR?

Nosler data shows it with 77/80 grain bullets.Most accurate load 22.5 grain 4064.In that weight range they found rl15 to be more accurate. However I have not tried either.

I'm in agreement with eddie56 it may work ok with the heavy bullets I've never used it but looking at the burn rate chart it may be ok for the heavy bullets.

24.8 grains of IMR 4064 and a 52gr Berger is the best load I have found for my AR. Half inch groups easily at 100 yards. Also shoots well with the 55 Vmax and 55 Game King.

Thanks guys, I'm going to give it a try. Worse that can happen is I need to buy a different powder. Kansaswoodguy I fairly new to reloading, reloaded in my teens stopped.for.20years and been loading 308 for a year. I would love to know how to look at a burn rate chart and get an idea if a certain powder would work for a certain weight bullet. Can you provide any insight?

Experience helps but baring that I look at the reloading manuals for a given caliber and usually see powders on the lighter bullet weights that are not there for the heavy bullets and vise versus you can then look at a powder burn rate chart and get an idea of which powders are going to work for what bullet weights. This is no exact science but helps when looking for altranate powders not readily found in manuals or matching burn rates with bullet weights for optimum accuracy and volocity. I tried all sorts of powder charges for 75gr bullets with imr 3031 in 223 my go to powder for 55gr pills and never found a decent load final changed to imr4895 and got great accuracy. I've read articles saying burn rates are meaningless but experience tells me there is value in using them.

So I hit the local shop and these are the powders I have available to me.
H380
IMR4320
IMR4831
IMR4350
Benchmark
Win748

I've worked up loads in my ar in 5.56 with a number of powders; among them was i4064. It shot fine but wasn't accurate in my rifle... Far better was h4895, but that is a rifle to rifle thing at times.

Of the powders you've listed, the only one that will be a bit slow for rattling a heavy pill down the tube on an ar is 4350

So I hit the local shop and these are the powders I have available to me.
H380
IMR4320
IMR4831
IMR4350
Benchmark
Win748

According to the Hodgdon burn chart, IMR 4320 and Win 748 are right on top of each other, and are just below Varget. So those should work ok with the heavier bullets, if I had to take a guess.

Looking at burn rate chart benchmark is next to IMR 3031 I would think it would work well for 60gr and under. Never did get a load I felt was very good with the 3031 with 75gr pills my best luck for 75's is with IMR4895 or IMR 8208

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.