4 vs 6 screw rings

KSB209

What are the pros and cons on 4 and 6 screw scope rings? Are you guys using 6 screws on larger magnums or is it just preference? My largest caliber is 300wm and have rings with 4 screws and I have never had a problem. So why 6 screws on some rings?

I have a couple of sets.

We're hard on equipment. My reasoning is mating the systems, and there are these days in my safe a variety of systems
I now have scopes of much bigger size on some set ups, I like a 2-7x Leupold, but my 5-25X ATACR is much bigger. Bigger optics exist yet.
I have a .223, but recoil forces involved are totally different in my .338 RUM. Again bigger cartridge/bullet combos than these are being investigated.
Extreme optics, extreme cartridges, heavy bullets, have some using 3 rings.
JE Custom left a legacy of slow motion video of forces being redirected, not eliminated that are insightful as to stress on systems.
I've traveled hard in the past, ATV, horseback, boat, bush plane, with minimal to no protection for the rifle. A basic leather scabbard, similar to what was designed a 150 years ago, has its limits in the modern world.
Not universally needed, but a necessary component in some set ups, and really a little change for in my mind compared to the big changes being done elsewhere in the system.
I like them, and find myself looking at them first when mounting a new scope.

Six screw rings give more surface area which should give better holding power and distributes the clamping force over a wider surface on the scope tube. If you have ever had a scope, ring, base, etc. come loose you will be chasing your tail for a while wondering if it is your barrel, load, or scope that's bad, eating up ammo, time, and money. It can be very frustrating let alone if it happens on a hunt where the stakes are much higher. Having gone thru it I now ensure all my scope rails use # 8 screws are pinned and bedded/glued to the receiver(or integral rail), rings are lapped, bedded, and blue loctite applied to all the screws. The heavier the scope the greater chance of it coming loose. As mentioned look at some high speed footage of recoil and see how much movement there is. On his big Allen Magnums with the Pain Killer brakes Kirby uses 2 sets of rings for a reason.
I just got an Audere(Italian) Mount for my Edge that will have a 40oz TT on it. Very similar to a Spuhr but cheaper.
A-AD00MT302800-101_11.jpg

Last edited:
Having gone thru it I now ensure all my scope rails use # 8 screws are pinned and bedded/glued to the receiver(or integral rail), rings are lapped, bedded, and blue loctite applied to all the screws. The heavier the scope the greater chance of it coming loose. As mentioned look at some high speed footage of recoil and see how much movement there is. On his big Allen Magnums with the Pain Killer brakes Kirby uses 2 sets of rings for a reason.
This!

Ok so it is more for piece of mind and just an extra layer of security. I get that. Thanks guys.
I think what we're saying is in some more typical style set ups, the returns while present may not be as great. In some set ups a it's a necessity.
Having experienced failures in simpler set ups, it provides a mechanical advantage across the board when combined with a more solid base set up. Not only in firing the rifle, but across the conditions of use.
A simple thing to look at is how a rifle gently transported from home to camp, has to be re-zeroed on arrival.
More peace of mind secondary to increased satisfactory out comes for me from a layer of real mechanical advantage.

I have 2 NF 7-35 ATACR's mounted on a CA BA Tactical(300WM)and a CA MPR(338LM)and went with NF 6 screw rings on both,maybe just for a little extra peace of mind being as heavy as the scopes are and the recoil(not so much with the 300WM and 215 Bergers,more so with the 338LM and the 300 gr. Berger OTM's).

It was stated that a 6 screw has a little more surface are than a 4. The 6 screw has a little material on the internal surface removed therefore allowing more tension to be applied with 150% more clamping force subsequently resulting in a tighter squeeze on the tube. I personally do not think they are a piece of mind but more of a requirement for big bores with heavy optics. I wouldn't put any on my 6xc bench gun but they are on my 10-12lb hunting 300s with NF scopes. I have personally had issues with lightweight guns that have a snappy recoil being harder on scope mounts than heave guns. My experiences are with the NF rings so it may not apply to all types.

Recent Posts