4 days of shooting and 14.8 pounds of empty cases

budlight

I bought a box of 1000 LC cases and it was 11 pounds. So I put all my empties in the same box and weighed them. Not scientific, but the number shown here might be 1275-1375. I had 3 versions of AR 15's and we arrived to help a rancher out. Lots of hours looking through scopes.

Some people never put 700 rounds through anything in a life time. I put 700 rounds through one rifle just to see how well forged parts and nickel boron bolt carrier groups held up out of 20 inch 1:9 twist 5.56 NATO. All I did was when the barrel was hot to the touch I let it cool off and this was over four day's and I alternated the other two in. I had three scopes with max powers of 12X, 25X, 30X and did distance shooting up near the max power. To see small targets out to who knows how far away 300 - 400 yards you need these big 56mm objective lenses and solid rifle rests. Looking out through the heat waves one afternoon with a strong cross wind I could see my missed shots and how far wide they went and then correct on my mil dot scopes. Lots of man hours invested in case prep and reloading and now I get to start all over minus the trimming and swaging though.

This bath towel is not big enough to spred them out and thy might be 4 deep in places is my pile of cases and a fellow forum member and his GF were along creating their own pile

Cases2604_zpsce3opers.jpg

The line up:

Top. heavy match stainless .223 24 inch 1:9 6-25X 33 mm tube 56 mm objective.

Middle 18 inch stainless .223 Wylde barrel 1:9 3-30X 30 mm tube 56mm objective

Bottom and the complete upper receiver for sale 20 inch 5.56 Melonite GDP diamond fluted three gun and target 1:9 scope removed because of hoping to sell.

Squirrel2613_zpsa81cuef4.jpg
[/URL]

I bought a box of 1000 LC cases and it was 11 pounds. So I put all my empties in the same box and weighed them. Not scientific, but the number shown here might be 1275-1375. I had 3 versions of AR 15's and we arrived to help a rancher out. Lots of hours looking through scopes.

Some people never put 700 rounds through anything in a life time. I put 700 rounds through one rifle just to see how well forged parts and nickel boron bolt carrier groups held up out of 20 inch 1:9 twist 5.56 NATO. All I did was when the barrel was hot to the touch I let it cool off and this was over four day's and I alternated the other two in. I had three scopes with max powers of 12X, 25X, 30X and did distance shooting up near the max power. To see small targets out to who knows how far away 300 - 400 yards you need these big 56mm objective lenses and solid rifle rests. Looking out through the heat waves one afternoon with a strong cross wind I could see my missed shots and how far wide they went and then correct on my mil dot scopes. Lots of man hours invested in case prep and reloading and now I get to start all over minus the trimming and swaging though.

This bath towel is not big enough to spred them out and thy might be 4 deep in places is my pile of cases and a fellow forum member and his GF were along creating their own pile

Cases2604_zpsce3opers.jpg

Sounds like fun! Any report on how the bolts held up through your testing? I shot my ARs a lot, but never that many at once.

Sounds like fun! Any report on how the bolts held up through your testing? I shot my ARs a lot, but never that many at once.

Of course NB BCG's carbon up, but I've made a mixture of STP and white lithium grease and I brush it on the internal piston, moving parts, and BCG rails where it contacts the upper. They seem to clean up easier than my only other full auto bolt gun.

I read an article about gas tube pressure in the different length of barrels. The 16 inch carbines apply about 30,000 psi to the tube and really slam the bolts back. The heavier full auto bolts and these NB would tame the reaction down. But I decided that the best route was mid and rifle length gas tubes that only experience 1/2 the pressure.

About 1/2 way through steel rod tumbling and these are all sized and primed.

halfway2605_zpsjt09nsbl.jpg
[/URL]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.