4-12x40 too bulky?

Fumedo

Hi
Here's a pic of my Anschütz with a Leupold 4-12x40AO. I consider switching to the 3-9x33 EFR. I think the 4-12 looks to bulky and kinda spoils the nice rifle and i had to mount it way forward cause it has a bigger eye relief. That makes it look somehow strange on the rifle. I only use it for plinking/practicing, it's a .22lr. On the other Hand it's quite long for a .22lr would the 3-9x33 be too small? What do you guys think?

I've put all kinds of scopes on rimfires. Some look better than others to me, but the one thing I look for is will it focus at 20 yds? The A/O that's on it will. Some won't, and on a .22lr some shots are that close or closer. The small scopes do look better on some rimfires, but I really like the way this one looks on your rifle. To me, it's a perfect choice. Gathers light better too.

A very fine rig. I'm a sucker for Anschutz's. Tom

On edit: That looks like a 50.

Last edited:
I thing your rig looks perfect , I'd leave it alone assuming that the scopes focus allows you to use it where its intended.

I'll have to take a pic of my suppressed Encore (if I ever get it back) , its a 18" barrel with a 7" suppressor and has a Leupold 6.5-20x50 ERF scope on it , put a 4" sunshade on their without the suppressor and it looks realy goofy.

But this gun was built simply for shooting small objects out to 100yds quietly so the look doesen't matter to me

Yeah it's really a good scope and maybe the 3-9x33 EFR will gather a little less light, but i only use the rifle for target practicing and 50 yards. And the 3-9 wont make much diffrence there. The only thing that concerns me is that it's really a nice rifle and now i think that the 3-9x33 ( Leupold || VX-II 3-9x33mm Rimfire EFR ) would look better on it. I could mount it a little more to the back. But maybe i should just keep it like you say. Just wanted some more opinions. Or i'll try to find a 3-9 anywhere and mount it to see how it looks

i think that looks perfect, but i also think you dont like it, or you would have started the thread "look how cool my gun is" the clearance to the barrel looks a bit tight but its a bull barrel and a .22lr so thats likely not an issue. i have a 3-9by 40 simmons that came on my package 93 .22wmr and it looks about like that without the adjustable objective lense of course and not in the same league in quality. but i do agree that a 3-9by33 would be too small, either way its a beautifull gun the grain is very nice the only thing i could think of doing is trying to get a silver scope the of the same size/brand.
what is that? walnut? and a 24 inch barrel?

I like it. Of course that might come from the fact that I have a Kimber SVT with a 6.5X20X40 Leupold on it and a Remington 541T HB that sports the same scope on it too. (I like shooting Prairie Dogs at long range with them).
I'm also looking at a Anschutz .17HMR with the HB to add to my long range rimfire's. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.