38 special hand loads

I don't think you can go wrong using WW231 (aka HP38, Hodgdon says they are the same powder these days) and the coated lead bullets from Missouri Bullets Co., or Acme Bullets. I use 231 in everything from .380 to 44 mag, with bullets from wad cutters to 250 gr Keith bullets in the .44. It's fairly clean, especially when compared to Bullseye, Red Dot or Unique, and covers everything from super lite loads in 38 Special and .44 Specia to relatively heavy loads in .357 Mag and .44 Mag. I have been using the lightest loads in 38 Special and .44 Special, in the magnum cases, for well over 30 years without any problems. The case volume difference simply isn't enough to make a difference. On the light loads I use a taper crimp while heavy loads get a roll crimp.
I currently load .380 ACP, 32 ACP, 32-20, 9mm, 38 Special, 357 magnum, 44 Special, 44 mag, .45. ACP and 10mm, with a few .45 Colt tossed in for a friend using 231.

It's not the best for really heavy jacketed bullets and you'll never get maximum velocity loads out of it due to pressure but you can go from mild to wild enough to impress new shooters using it! Hard to beat as an all around powder.

For example, I load a 190 gr full wadcutter in .44 magnum cases (I no longer even own any .44 Special brass!) with as little as 5.5 gr of 231, up to 11.0 gr for the fastest wadcutter I can get. The 240 lead bullet can be loaded down to 4.9 gr. These rounds go off like popcorn farts yet can be amazingly accurate out of some pistols. These are .44 Special loads but loaded in .44 mag cases. Again, I've never had any problems shooting thousands of these rounds over the years. They are great for kids or adults that really want to shoot the big .44 but that aren't likely able to manage the recoil of a magnum round. Of course, you can also work up loads with jacketed rounds that can make the average shooters world spin, too! For that, I like Sierra 180 gr jacketed bullets loaded with up to 13.0 grains of 231 (Lyman #48). With 240 gr jacketed I usually stick with a max of 11.0 grains. These boom and roar enough to impress new shooters, although to impress an old hand, you'll need to go with either H110 or 296, which Hodgdon now says are the same powder. They may be, but some manuals still give different min & max numbers for each one, which could be variations in different lot numbers. If you're going to load anything to max velocities, ALWAYS work up carefully to a maximum load, no matter what powder you use.

If you change lots of powder, the load has to be confirmed (usually by chronograph) to give the same velocities and pressures. Care and common sense must prevail or you can hurt your gun and possibly yourself... or maybe an innocent bystander!
Cheers,
crkckr

My load I've been using for years:
IMG_0764.jpg

Titegroup is a "volume tolerant" powder, allowing for low volume yet consistent ignition.
Very pleasant load in even an Air Weight S&W snubbie.

I'm looking for a couple of powder suggestions for some 38 special practice/plinking loads. Will mainly be pistol loads and some out of the 357 lever gun. 125gn Berry's plated Bullets

Thanks
Mike
This is a load that I use quite often.
Shooter's Reference load data: https://shootersreference.com/reloadingdata/38-special/
Very accurate, and they are hot rods on the upper scale.
Mike

Not really an answer to your question but, I never shoot .38spec in anything but a .38spec only. Your .357 lever gun will prob function better with the 357 case. Plus there is always the carbon build up that "may" hinder .357 loading after. You can always load a 357 down to .38spec specs.

As far as H110 that is a .357 max load type powder, it does not really burn well at lower pressures. Like others have stated, fast powder with some bulk is what you are looking for, there are some specialty powders for Cowboy Action Shooting. VV Tin Star and IMR Trail Boss are a couple.

I have 3 38 Specials, 2.8 grs of Bullseye behind a 148 gr HBWC shoots very well in all 3, I load these to where they are just above flush with the mouth of the case. This load used to be the go to target load back in the day. I have also read that some police officers and police chiefs carried these in their snub nose 38's back when 38 Specials were the handgun of choice for police officers. 700 X and Unique are also very good powders for the 38 Special, 4.2 grs of 700 X behind a 125 gr Winchester HP is very accurate in my snub nose 38's. All 3 of the powders mentioned are available in the places I go to.

Just plinking and practice…..1 pound of Bullseye will give you about 2300 loaded rounds.

Bullseye was a very well accepted powder of choice for the 38 Special before I was born 70 plus years ago!

I wish that I had enough primers to fully utilize the 8 pounds of Bullseye that is in my reloading room! 😉 memtb
I have the primers if you want me to take the powder off your hands. lol 🤣 😆

I liked HS-6 for 110 & 125 gr bullets.
Not trying to throw a kink in your plans, but I tried 38spec 125gr loads in my Henry Big Boy Steel, and quickly found out they needed to be seated to 357 mag lengths, or they would not feed.

Not really an answer to your question but, I never shoot .38spec in anything but a .38spec only. Your .357 lever gun will prob function better with the 357 case. Plus there is always the carbon build up that "may" hinder .357 loading after. You can always load a 357 down to .38spec specs.

As far as H110 that is a .357 max load type powder, it does not really burn well at lower pressures. Like others have stated, fast powder with some bulk is what you are looking for, there are some specialty powders for Cowboy Action Shooting. VV Tin Star and IMR Trail Boss are a couple.
Same here. I just load 38 special power level loads in 357 cases. They function better in the lever gun and they don't leave the carbon buildup in the chambers of the lever gun or revolver.