378 Weatherby fan new guy

jsurfdog

I consider the 378 Weatherby an outstanding long range round, particularly when shooting 270 grain projectiles. In fact, it is my favorite LR caliber. I own a 378 WBY short throat with Kreiger barrel, JP recoil eliminator (though if I had to do it over I would go with a Holland QD brake - a bit quieter than the JP, which will disable anyone, including the shooter, standing nearby without ear protection). Shoots half inch at 100, 3200+ fps. Like TSX the best. Has a 5x15 x56 Nightforce scope. Anybody else shoot 378 WBYs at long range? I also own:

338-378 with Pac Nor barrel in MacMillan sniper stock, HOlland Brake, 4x24x50 IOR scope (35 mm body). NIce scope, took a Rusa in New Caledonia half hour after sunset at 4 power.

458 Lott, in Brockman stock, no brake (kicks like a mule, but will shoot 3/4" groups with Swift A frames, 500 grain TSX, and 500 grain Barnes solids). I'm on my third scope, a Burris 1x4x24 now. Blew up two IOR 1.1x4 x24scopes on it.

A Browning lever rifle re-chambered in 416 Taylor with Holland Brake, 1.75x 6 Burris scope.

300 Weatherby Accumark, 4x14x50 Nikon sniper scope (sweet scope for the money)

AR 10 chambered in 300 WSM with ABS carbon Barrel (not received it yet, but have a 3x15x40 Sightron or 3x18x40 (35 mm body) IOR ready to put on it.

308 Win BAR, 20 inch barel, Browning brake 3x9 Weaver Grand Slam (another nice scope for the money). Kids gun, great set up for young recoil shy kids.

280 AI on Weatherby short action, with Christensen Arms carbon barrel, Bell and Carlsen medalist stock, and titanium brake (another kid gun, specifically for a 100lb. boy who can shoot lights out at over 300 yds., nicknamed Dr. Death by an Australian guide I hunt with).gun)
Currently living in West Australia, all guns still in Texas.
Lots of brakes on my rifles, but I shoot at ranges hours at a time. Couldn't do that with these calibers without the brakes. Setting up the 458 Lott (round development, scope sight-in, etc.) got me flinching so bad I had to stop shooting for a month.

Welcome aboard.

That's a bummer.

You in AZ land and rifles in TX.:rolleyes:

There's quite a bunch of Down Under fellas hangin around here.

What's your tho'ts on the Pac Nor barrel. I know nothing about them except that I'm having a rifle built with a Pac Nor that should make your 378 seem like a BB gun.:D Yeah, Right?

Hi welcome to the site. If you need any details of things gun related here in OZ give me a bell and i can help you out.

Cheers Bill
Australia

re Pac Nor barrel:
I'm a big fan of Krieger barrels, mainly because the barrel on my 378 is accurate, doesn't foul (I shoot Barnes almost exclusively) and has lasted for around 1000 rounds with no apparen loss of accuracy. Shoots 168, 180, and 200 grain Barnes TSX with equal precision. Having said that, I'm not sure I'm a good enough shot to tell the difference between a Pac Nor and Krieger. Let me re-phrase that: I'm not a good enough shot to be able to tell the difference between the two. Both are hand lapped. I bought the Pac Nor because delivery time was almost immediate, the Krieger was a 3 month or longer wait. The Pac Nor was a few dollars less expensive, but that was not the deciding factor. The Pac Nor is factory fluted, a very nice barrel in appearance. I haven't shot enough rounds through it to form a firm opinion, but I'm getting under MOA accuracy with the few loads I worked up, good enough for the hunting I have done to date, and it doesn't foul. The Krieger is outstanding, I've probably put 1000 rounds through it with no loss of accuracy - 270 and 300 grain 378 WBY hot loads. The Krieger is 416 stainless, I believe, not the more common 410 sainless. I might have the numbers wrong, but I rememeber the Krieger stainless was uncommon. The Pac Nor is standard stainless. If the Pac Nor lasts for a thousand rounds then I would consider it as good as the Krieger. Excellent customer service from Pac Nor, likewise Krieger. Pac Nor chambered the barrel and mated it to the action, did it quickly and professionally. The Krieger was done by Peter Pieper of Precision Barrel Work of Hempstead Texas. Pete does Great work, but don't be in a hurry.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.