375 H&H at 1000 yards

Dave King

I had the chance to shoot The Monkey Blaster at Marine Corps Base Quantico today. We shot on Range 4 at 1000 yards onto some smaller targets (42 inches square).

I was not at all suprised that it used the same come-up value (38 MOA) as the two fellas shooting the 308 Win with 175 Sierra MatchKings (38 and 40 MOA). It was a little cold ~40 degrees but none-the-less we blasted away.

We didn't measure the groups but I'm very sure the majority of the rounds impacted within 6" of point of aim so about 12 inches for group size. It was a little difficult to stay on target, the bull is 6.75 and the rest of the target is white, I was using a 3.5 x 10 Leupold M3LR. I was using the 260 Accubond Ian suggested a while back... guess I'll need to order some more of those 260's!!

Now all I need is a few baboons!

Yes, we were shooting prone. We originally just wanted to shoot 600 yards but the big bench gun guys were there too so we started at 1000. We were held up for 4 hours until a VIP cleared the compound and that really put a crimp in the shooting plans. A fun day at the range non-the-less and a chance to shoot. Vern Harrison was shooting a 308 with the 175 and shot extremely well...he was testing a new batch of 175's. He had all his rounds in the black in the upper half of the bull (very good shooting) so less than a 6" group...he'll be hard to beat at the F-Class matches this year I'd guess. I believe he was using a Rem 700 with the AICS stock and Clay Spencer barrel...very good rifle and shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.