360 Buckhammer

I will tell you a lot of people claim they authored this because of its success here and elsewhere. Interesting only my name and Matt Lori are on attendance sheets for all these committee meetings to to review and support the proposed House Bill. That's the telling documentation. I am proud of the impact and appreciate the hard work of Matt Lori and his admin assistant Susan Martin. They were instrumental in getting this to final.
Bravo to you and Matt Lori. It had to be one hell of an uphill climb for you. As much as MI is a pro hunting state, they couldn't get a dove season passed through legislation when I lived there. That infuriated me. So, again, a big thank you for getting that done

The round will struggle without across the board support by the lever action manufacturers, and it's not clear Ruger is in a position to support it given we're not even seeing 30-30 336's yet. That's too bad. It's not a bad idea.

I grew up in Michigan when as a 14yo your entry to deer hunting was tolerating a 2-3/4" 12ga slug. Certainly not youth hunter friendly. I hunted my first season with a side-by-side Fox 12ga with a rifled slug in one barrel and buck in the other, then baled hay to afford a $120 Traditions ML which I killed at least 70 deer with.

Indiana took a different path, they stuck with the .358 restriction but got rid of the straight walled and substituted a 1.8" case length. This allowed WSM wildcats which were honest 500 yard guns (35 Whelen AI clones), and that was the beginning of the end. The legislature over-ruled the DNR and passed a bill allowing rifles, but since they weren't gun people it was a nonsensical law, so the DNR threw up their hands and opened it up to anything .243 and above on private land.

I understand the desire to restrict ballistics, and am glad it has progressed to allow straight wall rifles which open up much improved options for young hunters. I also understand arguments for opening it up further and acknowledge no hunters have been shot in Indiana under the looser laws, thought a number of houses and other buildings have been shot (most target shooting I believe, not hunting shots). I hunt a couple properties and my home property does have some concern for direction of shots and what is in the background...I'm going to try a 458 SOCOM subsonic with a suppressor, which is a far better option than shotgun slugs but wouldn't have been permitted under older laws.

One thing I wanted to have (if they're only going to stick with straight walled cartridges and no length restrictions) is a 405 Win chambered in a custom encore barrel. What would be interesting is a shortened version of the 405 Win max length 1.8".

When the 350 Legend came out I tried ordering it with a .358 barrel, but everyone wanted to stick to the standard .355 bore. I couldn't figure out why they went that route instead of having a caliber with true rifle bullets already available. This caliber seems to make more sense with the diameter, but with a rimmed case head they've shot themselves in the foot. With a lever action why not go with a 45 Long Colt. Might be interesting to see if any varmint wildcats come from this.

When the 350 Legend came out I tried ordering it with a .358 barrel, but everyone wanted to stick to the standard .355 bore. I couldn't figure out why they went that route instead of having a caliber with true rifle bullets already available.
IMHO they wanted to keep it more proprietary to sell more ammo.

I have a drawing for 1.8" .357 Wolverine that I cannot get brass made at this time. Guess I won't have do that now!!

So if I got 2700fps with 140SH in .357 Max, I wonder what it will do in the .360Buckhammer! So is this going to be in Marlin? Henry?

Another Encore barrel!!
Currently made by Henry from my understanding. The 360 BH will be a major step up from the 350L. I think it'll replace alot of 450 BMs that many SLP hunters and Ohio hunters currently use.

Currently made by Henry from my understanding. The 360 BH will be a major step up from the 350L. I think it'll replace alot of 450 BMs that many SLP hunters and Ohio hunters currently use.

Honest question, this segment isn't really my zone. Just looking at the specs of the 360 vs the 350l it looks like minor steps, mainly belt and taper. What makes it a major step up?

Honest question, this segment isn't really my zone. Just looking at the specs of the 360 vs the 350l it looks like minor steps, mainly belt and taper. What makes it a major step up?
The buckhammer will run 180-200 grain bullets. Performance will be right in the middle of the 350L and 450 BM based on the ballistics of the buckhammer by Remington. Remington's data based on my load data for the 350L

Being a rimmed cartridge it's not going to be as great of a choice in a semi or bolt gun, so it's not likely to replace 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster in those platforms. Bolt guns are by far the most common option for both cartridges.

I think it's main market is going to be hunters who want to use grandpa's 30-30 in a straight wall state. Outside of that it's going to competing with a lot of well established cartridges in platforms that make up a fairly small portion of the market.

Being a rimmed cartridge it's not going to be as great of a choice in a semi or bolt gun, so it's not likely to replace 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster in those platforms. Bolt guns are by far the most common option for both cartridges.

I think it's main market is going to be hunters who want to use grandpa's 30-30 in a straight wall state. Outside of that it's going to competing with a lot of well established cartridges in platforms that make up a fairly small portion of the market.
Bolt guns can handle that cartridge but yes your right, it'll appeal to the lever gun club almost entirely. It'll get me back into that platform