358 Winchester

Jeeper48

With Iowa opening up regulations for deer hunting, I am throwing the idea around of using a spare Rem 700 SA to build a 358 Winchester on. Does anyone have a recommendation on a shop or smith who are familiar with the 358? I'm looking at either a Remage barrel or sending it in.

What caliber is the current donor rifle? What is the profile of the current barrel? If it's not a pencil profile you could look into JES re-boring and have him bore it out to 358Win. I have read very favorable reviews and know one person who has sent a Remington 700 in 30-06 off to him to have it converted into a 35 Whelen. It shot very accurately and he took a nice bull moose with it. His prices are reasonable and his turn around time is very quick.
I have thought about having one done but just haven't done it.

JES Rebored a Kimber Hunter and shortened the barrel for me, I shortened the stock a bit, here is my 5 lb 358 :D

ZLwiEyD.jpg

358 Winchester is one of my favorite cartridges....just one thing stay away from the Hornady 358 SP they were a good bullet back in the 70-90's but not any more....had 2 blow up like a varmint bullet on a large buck and a bear....went to pieces.....did recover both but very disappointed in a proven bullet....
Don't know if it was a bad lot or a bad change in manufacturing....used up what I had on paper and now use a premium bullet Cutting Edge Bullet 358 150 gr. Raptor.....

358 Winchester is one of my favorite cartridges....just one thing stay away from the Hornady 358 SP they were a good bullet back in the 70-90's but not any more....had 2 blow up like a varmint bullet on a large buck and a bear....went to pieces.....did recover both but very disappointed in a proven bullet....
Don't know if it was a bad lot or a bad change in manufacturing....used up what I had on paper and now use a premium bullet Cutting Edge Bullet 358 150 gr. Raptor.....
That is great to know, thank you.
Curious how fast you are getting that Raptor to go? What have your experiences been with it? I have come across those a few times now as this will only be used in Iowa for whitetails

As we speak, there is a Ruger 77 carbine for sale on gunbroker chambered in 358 winchester. It's in beautiful condition. If I didn't have my Ruger 77 in 375 ruger and my Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen, I'd be on that rifle like white on rice. I live in Iowa as well, and my 375 is my new "go to" for hunting does during late season. Can't kill a buck cause I always hunt late muzzleloader season, but an extra doe in the freezer is good, plus it gives me a good excuse to keep the rifle.

As we speak, there is a Ruger 77 carbine for sale on gunbroker chambered in 358 winchester. It's in beautiful condition. If I didn't have my Ruger 77 in 375 ruger and my Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen, I'd be on that rifle like white on rice. I live in Iowa as well, and my 375 is my new "go to" for hunting does during late season. Can't kill a buck cause I always hunt late muzzleloader season, but an extra doe in the freezer is good, plus it gives me a good excuse to keep the rifle.
Funny you say that, since ive posted this thread ive built a 358 Winchester. Have the barrel off now being shortened to 18 inches and threaded so i can get a can for it, but ive been eyeing a few 375 Rugers as they come up.

Funny you say that, since ive posted this thread ive built a 358 Winchester. Have the barrel off now being shortened to 18 inches and threaded so i can get a can for it, but ive been eyeing a few 375 Rugers as they come up.
I sure like my 375 Ruger. I've shot a couple deer with it with cast bullets, and it makes em' dead real fast. I found a helluva good deal on 500 Hornady 225 grainers, so that's what I'm shooting now. Loaded down to 2500 fps, it's very tolerable recoil wise, and grouping about 1.5 moa @ a hundred, so while I'd like to a bit better accuracy, for hunting Iowa, it's plenty accurate and plenty lethal out to 300ish, and I think that's far enough for where I hunt.

A few years ago Midwayusa had a sale on seconds 270gr round nose .375 bullets. $10.00 for 50. I bought several hundred of them for practice shooting. My Ruger shoots those very accurately. I also have several boxes of Speer 235gr, Barnes TSX in 235gr, 270gr, and the 250gr TTSX. I also still have half a box of the Sierra 300gr game kings as well. They are what i've loaded for hunting since they have a pretty good BC for a big hunting bullet. They hit hard and retain weight well.