35 Whelen Ackely Imp

truck driver

Finally got my M70 back from J.E.S. Reboring and looking to load some 200gr Nosler AB for it and was wondering if anyone has a favorite load they would recommend.
Oh and don't flame me with how useless an Ackely chamber is in a 35 Whelen because it does have other benefits than more velocity which is minimum.
I had the throat lengthened to to accept a cartridge OAL of 3.500" which is still shorter than a factory Remington chamber which measured 3.638" in my 700 Classic, I also had the barrel cut to a 1-12" twist so it would handle heavy bullets like a 310 Woodleigh if I desire to use them sometime.

Attachments

• NCM_0254.jpg
    NCM_0254.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 77
I don't have any load suggestions, but that's a great looking rig! A 35 Whelen ai has crossed my mind a few times.

very nice!

Thanks for the compliment and if your curious about what the shell looks like here's a picture of a standard 35 Whelen and a 35 Whelen AI. The one on the left is the standard and the one on the right is the AI both loaded with 200gr Nosler accubonds.

Attachments

• NCM_0324.jpg
    NCM_0324.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 71
Maybe 2900fps with a 200 gr AB and groups like this will encourage you to get one. The loading data on the target is for use in my rifle and I do not in any way condone the use of this info for anyone elses rifle.

Attachments

• NCM_0326.jpg
    NCM_0326.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 72
I guess no one loads for the 35 Whelen AI or there's know interest since it doesn't sling a bullet at 3500fps.:D

I have had a 35 AI for about 20 years, but have not shot anything smaller than 225's. Built mine to hunt elk in timber. My go to load is 225 Barnes XLC at 2900 from my 22" stainless barrel. This load is sub moa. Don't let anyone poo poo your choice, it's a great caliber and is a real hammer with mild recoil. Nice choice.

I have had a 35 AI for about 20 years, but have not shot anything smaller than 225's. Built mine to hunt elk in timber. My go to load is 225 Barnes XLC at 2900 from my 22" stainless barrel. This load is sub moa. Don't let anyone poo poo your choice, it's a great caliber and is a real hammer with mild recoil. Nice choice.
Thanks Rock 29, I haven't got into the 225gr bullets yet with the AI but have tested them in my Standard. Your the second person I've talked to that claims the AI version excels in 22" barrels. My M70 was 24" when I started and left it like that and I'm not sorry I did. If you don't want to publish your load in open forum how about PMing me with your load. I'm always looking for new stuff to try.:D

TD, I did most of my load development with RL 15 years ago. It was accurate and gave me the velocity I wanted out of a 22" barrel. With 63g I could push 225 Barnes XLC's at over 2900 fps. The load I settled on was 62.2g that produced 2820 fps and shoots @ .4. My last two 3 shot groups before I left for Colorado last year measured .424 and .392. I worked with XLC's which gave me about 100 fps more than non coated bullets. Lucky for me I bought 5 boxes before Barnes quit making them.

I'm pushing the 225 Speer out of my standard 35 Whelen at 2700+ fps with 60 gr rl15, so a couple of extra grains and ~100 fps more sounds about right in the ai with a 22" bbl... I won't punch my chamber out though. I have a 338win and a 375 h&h if I need more pop than the Whelen. I do however like the idea of the ai , so I may eventually do one up on a m700lh action for the heck of it.

As to accuracy with the whelen, the last two groups fired with her were clover-leafs... one at 100 and one at 200 (the 200 yard group had a .295" ctc.)...

Left7mmstw, The velocity gain should not be the main reason for boring out your chamber. The AI version is just more efficient than the standard case plus you don't have the case stretch and bolt thrust with the AI chamber and that's the reason for the AI chamber.:D

This is my next rifle I am going to build. The smith I use has built quite afew of these. He says r 15 with 200 and 225 gr gives great speed and better accuracy. I can't wait

I have RL15 but haven't used it yet in the AI and it really didn't impress me in the standard Whelen I was finding Varget and IMR8208XB to give better accuracy.

Left7mmstw, The velocity gain should not be the main reason for boring out your chamber. The AI version is just more efficient than the standard case plus you don't have the case stretch and bolt thrust with the AI chamber and that's the reason for the AI chamber.:D

I have free brass.... I'm using range pick-ups or brass I bought at a lgs when they retired out of business... Plus I got 200+ rounds of loaded ammo free with the rifle...:D:D:D
Even if the brass wasn't free, I'm only getting a couple of thou. per firing stretch...

As to bolt thrust, I get that, but bolt thrust is one of the things that let you know when a load is running higher pressures, so take away that warning sign and it's easier to overload your rifle without knowing it. I like the reduced taper, but the '06 has less taper to start with than some of the cases that were improved -- the 257 Roberts comes to mind, so that really is less of an issue with this one. 257 better bob, that might just be what I do with my lh '06.... I don't really like that rifle as it sits... I could also hang a 35 whelen ai bbl. on her; I have enough brass for two rifles rather easily...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.