338rum or 7rum for longrange

darrindlh

Need help. Which of the two calibers for my next rifle. A 338rum or 7rum for long range hunting. I am going to reload but would like to stay with a caliber that If needed to I could find factory ammo. Max distance would be 1k. Deer to Elk.
Thanks,
Darrin

I do agree with what the others have said, and I also love my 338RUM. But when you're looking for loaded ammo it will be very tough to find 338RUM.

When you do, it will be about $70 a box and have bullets that are not long range friendly.

That's the only reason I recommended the 7mm.

I defiantly see what your saying... I will be reloading my ammo, but i wanted to be able to buy factory if I had no other choice and it was the last result. That is why I did not choose to go with the 338 edge. i love the cartridge but what I have been reading the 338 rum is very close to the edge.
The 7rum i love as well because I feel I could throw the wildcat 200 gr bullets at enough velocity to take advantage. Don't know though. Thank you all for you replys

Darrin

The 200gr Wildcat is the only thing that would get me to ever own a 7mm anything, the ballistics are of the scale but what ever you chose I would first chose not to run out of reloads at all cost, factory is not an option!!!:D

100% with bigngreen,i don't think factory ammo is an option with a LR rifle.

I agree completely. I'm hoping to throw the 200gr wildcats at 2850. It should be doable. I'm hoping to reload and have 1000 rounds kept at all times. But with shooting everyday I'm just going to replace what I shoot.
Darrin

Kiwi I was trying to stay on the low end of velocity. If I am able to reach 3000 with a 28 inch barrel then this rifle will be one long range hammer.

But still when you run the numbers on a 245 gr 338 bullet of 250 gr bullet. Doesn't that hit alot harder down range and cause a much larger hole?

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.