338EDGE Brass PROBLEM!!!!!

I don't know if this could be leading to your problem, but I see two definite problems with your setup. One, on a turret press, I have found it best to always tighten the set screw in the back of the press tight up against the turret to keep flex to a minimum. I have seen some turrets flex so much as to misalign the ram and the die. Also, I noticed that you have a lot of bench flex when you are sizing, this can also lead to problems especially when performing forming operations. Just my .02 cents.

I don't know if this could be leading to your problem, but I see two definite problems with your setup. One, on a turret press, I have found it best to always tighten the set screw in the back of the press tight up against the turret to keep flex to a minimum. I have seen some turrets flex so much as to misalign the ram and the die. Also, I noticed that you have a lot of bench flex when you are sizing, this can also lead to problems especially when performing forming operations. Just my .02 cents.

+1

Hey Chris,

Sorry I don't have any solutions for you. But you should post some pics of the 338Edge you got back from Rick. He was pretty quick getting it back to you I'd say!

Cheers

Have not had a problem use unique on cases from 243 up with no problems.
Unique is made by hornady..Luck

Chris, did you ever figure out what the problem was. I've got the same thing going on.
Brass.jpg
[/IMG]

Chris, did you ever figure out what the problem was. I've got the same thing going on.
Brass.jpg
[/IMG]

How high up in the die is your sizing button? It's a wild guess, but if you're trying to go over the button at the same time as the neck sizing ???

Just a wild a** guess.

AJ

I know about the bench flex, I have to change it after New Year with a more strong one,
About the turret I already tight up the back screw.
Did you go all the way up with the back screw?

About the FL die, I decided to send it back to rcbc and I hope they could fix the problem.
In the same time I just got Redding NS Die from a local Gunsmith.
I hope this one will work.

Thank you for helping me wtih the FL DIE and also about the bench.

Chris

Brass.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi Magman,

I Just replaced the RCBC FL die with Redding NS Die, and everything is working great.
MagMan, I did a small experiment with the FL Die:
- I setup the press to do not go up all the way. (0.25 left to be all the way up)
- I runed throug the FL die, and I notices the die is cutting from the outside neck case a small amout from the wall.
If you are going all the way down, you will never see the die is cutting from the outside wall.
This is way you and my self got all the ring residues from the dies.

Now be verry carefully because after running over and over and over the same brass on the die (10-12 time) your case will be stuck in the die because of the residue accumulation.
Be carefully to clean the die after few running.

I could not find whay I got all this marks on the neck area, so I will send back the die to rcbs after New Year to let them fix the problem.

Chris

How high up in the die is your sizing button? It's a wild guess, but if you're trying to go over the button at the same time as the neck sizing ???

With the button all the way up you end up with an inverted shoulder. The neck is barley flared out and its stuffed down where the shoulder used to be.... its ugly.

I've tried it up and down and in the middle...... no luck

It's funny the shavings are so thin it's almost like dust can't imagine they amount to much. But after a couple of cases you have quite a messy die. The picture makes it look a lot worse.

I know I could set the button low and just stretch out the neck but Its one of those things I need an answer to.

I'm going to look more closely inside the die...

I had the same thing happen and I can't remember what caused it (probably 15 years ago). I tried to make it happen with some old brass and some RCBS FL dies and I couldn't.

AJ

Guys,

Sorry I did not catch this thread earlier .Send them back to me and I'll get them fixed ASAP. Sorry for the inconvience.

Hi Shawn,
thank you, for everything, but this is not your fault. You could not check every dies from RCBC,
before you send them out.
chris

It is my fault. The dies are not made by RCBS I convert 300 Ultra dies to Edge. It has come to my attention the 2 or 3 sets got away from me with a very slight burr at the neck shoulder junction. This is easly fixable and is removed as a standard part of converting the dies. I however screwed up and skipped that step on a small group of them I was doing. Like I said get them back to me and I square them away ASAP. Sorry for the inconvience. Send the USPS and I'll send a check for the shipping back with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.