338 WM

chanceinmt

With all the new cartridges developed, isn't my Ruger 77 338 WM still a viable round.? All the chatter makes me second guess myself. I use a Kimber MONTANA in 300 WSM for long hikes and the high country and my 338 WM for timber and late season public land in Montana etc

I have a Win Model 70 EW 338WM, a Kimber 8400 Select and a Kimber Super America. The 338WM is definitely a viable cartridge. Good to 800 or so.
For normal shooting ranges, even out to 500, a conventional bullet like a 225gr Partition or Accubond on deer or elk is perfect, you can step it up to a 250 for either too, and this will also work on bears.
No reason to second guess, it just works.
If you want to shoot ELR, like me, you can go 338-416 Rigby Improved like I did, or 33CX, 33 Nosler, 33 Norma Mag or Lapua.
But they are a niche' class of cartridges that resemble tactical type shooting and the rigs that go with them. Of course you can hunt with any of them, but recoil goes up with them as speed increases.

Cheers.

Still the best all around cartridge for all NA big game. Hits like a hammer up close, and plenty oomph to reach out for Elk. Killed lots of animals with my A-bolt and 225 STT's, and 250 Gamekings. Just shy of 600 was my longest kill on a 6x6 Bull.

When a moose hunt plans started coming together about 1994. I bought a 700 Rem. S/S 338 WM. Later I changed out the Rubber Maid stock for a H&S Precision Stock. The rifle loves .338 225 Nosler Part. Bullets.
For large animals it is my "Go to rifle". Gave me a warm feeling Moose Hunting Alberta in Grizzly Bears front yard.
I have a Kimber Montana 300 WSM too, Love it as a High Country walking hunt rifle. And with the easy tear down bolt, Makes a great nasty weather rifle.

I have a Browning Abolt II in 338wm and it's favorite thing to do is kill bear! It makes bear dead just as much as any other "new" hot round if you shoot them in the goodie box!

There is absolutely no reason to question whether the 338WM is a viable cartridge...ever! It is a great cartridge that hits with authority, same can be said about others as well, the 30-06, 270, 300WM, etc., they all work! The proof is in their respective ages, as none of them would be around today if they didn't produce!

VIABLE!! it's more than viable...it has stood the test of time and can handle any animal you can hit with ease...one of the true big game cartridges. We'll see how long all the newfangled boys hang around...the 150fps gain comes with aggravation and great expense..Do you really think any animals vital area WILK notice...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.