.338 WinMag

one of my very favorite close range alder elk/ rifles was a M77 tang saftey 338 win mag wearing a 2.5-8 vxIII leupold shooting 225 gr accubonds .. i called it "meat maker" because whatever was in the scope was going home to the meat pole!!

I love the 338 WM
I have this exact set up. 80's production M77 tang safety with an 80's Leupold vx3 2.5-8 and even though I haven't had it long I really like the rig and how it handles/shoots.

I let my friend try it out...

341748E8-B936-4BDB-B53A-77F45C688E19.jpeg

I love the 338 WM
I have this exact set up. 80's production M77 tang safety with an 80's Leupold vx3 2.5-8 and even though I haven't had it long I really like the rig and how it handles/shoots.

I let my friend try it out...

View attachment 182802
Great pic! I was just searching what type of scope to put on this Ruger Guide Gun.....I first noticed what you said you have mounted on it. Do most guys have a Standard Eye Relief or a Long Eye relief on their .338 win mag rifle? Or maybe I should start a different thread for this question....hmmm

The 338 WM is why I bought my first Leupold scope... generous eye relief. My first 338 scope was a 2-7x33. It wears a 3-9x40 now and I see no reason to change.

Thank you. I am overwhelmed with all this great info...I initially was told that 165 gr Barnes TTSX was the load to use for deer, but...I thought to myself...in my old Rem Woodsmaster 30-06, I've always used 180 gr bullets, Remington Core-Lok's, (Cheap ammo that this gun really likes for accuracy ) because it did less damage than the lower grain bullet. At least in comparing similar shots on deer in the past...I guess and correct me if I am wrong, am I better off with a Nosler Accubond tip for deer in this caliber than a Partition tip?...only because bullet retains weight better...correct ? And use heavier grain in 210-225 gr for heavier animals like elk, moose or bear in a Nosler partition...am I rights guys?
You are correct about not using a Partition bullet even for elk hunting as the performance of the new bonded bullets exceed the dynamics the Partition was heralded for, holding together for deep penetration. The Accubonds and similar other brands of bonded bullets made today are ballistic superior so, although once a huge fan of the Partition, I don't load them anymore.
Using the 180gr Accubond, I previously told you about, I would sight in 2" high at 100 yards using a Leupold Vari-X2 scope and have approximately a 4" shot placement corridor out to 310 yards. If you load 225-250 grain bullets you need a scope with moar reticle. This allowed me to get immediate target acquisition on game I might not have if time was of the essence.
Back in '86, when I started loading for my .338, scopes with MOAR reticles were not available. Even now I like hunting using this siting method on deer.

Great pic! I was just searching what type of scope to put on this Ruger Guide Gun.....I first noticed what you said you have mounted on it. Do most guys have a Standard Eye Relief or a Long Eye relief on their .338 win mag rifle? Or maybe I should start a different thread for this question....hmmm

Thanks! Winter camp out is always a proving ground for guns/cartridges. This year everyone unanimously voted the 338 WM best in show!

I use 210 Nosler partitions in my .338. Lung shots are like a bow kill and need a little tracking; not much expansion. Raking shots or anything with bone contact drops 'em quick with less meat damage than ballistic tips in smaller calibers (243, .270 and 30-06).

Just depends on whether you are using a muzzle brake or not. If you are then I would keep it at a minimum of 3 inches. If not, then I would feel better about 3 yards!
Whatever you decide make sure you have good, no, great hearing protection on before pulling the trigger!

My Sako started out with no brake and a 2-7x33 Leupold. Eye relief was right near 4 inches. No issues with scope eye. My 3x9 40mm is close to that at 3.8". I would shoot for 4" of eye relief on a 8-9 pound setup (rifle, mounts and scope). 3 inches is a little close.
It has a brake on it now just because I want to shoot it more and I'm getting older and less in favor of recoil.

I put a redfield on my 338wm just for the reason it has over 4in of eye relief. Don't quote me but I think it's closer to 4.7. Didn't want to get busted by scope,I don't have brake

You are correct about not using a Partition bullet even for elk hunting as the performance of the new bonded bullets exceed the dynamics the Partition was heralded for, holding together for deep penetration. The Accubonds and similar other brands of bonded bullets made today are ballistic superior so, although once a huge fan of the Partition, I don't load them anymore.
Using the 180gr Accubond, I previously told you about, I would sight in 2" high at 100 yards using a Leupold Vari-X2 scope and have approximately a 4" shot placement corridor out to 310 yards. If you load 225-250 grain bullets you need a scope with moar reticle. This allowed me to get immediate target acquisition on game I might not have if time was of the essence.
Back in '86, when I started loading for my .338, scopes with MOAR reticles were not available. Even now I like hunting using this siting method on deer.
Awesome and thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I use 210 Nosler partitions in my .338. Lung shots are like a bow kill and need a little tracking; not much expansion. Raking shots or anything with bone contact drops 'em quick with less meat damage than ballistic tips in smaller calibers (243, .270 and 30-06).
Interesting. I did use a 180 gr Win Silver tip in my 30-06 and shot a deer in the front shoulder and what a mess it made of the deer. Interesting to know about the 210 partition. Thank you

Just depends on whether you are using a muzzle brake or not. If you are then I would keep it at a minimum of 3 inches. If not, then I would feel better about 3 yards!
Whatever you decide make sure you have good, no, great hearing protection on before pulling the trigger!
Good to know. I haven't shot it yet, and it came with a muzzle break on it, (along with the two other screw on's), but I was told to take it off for hunting.(Because of the noise) I wasn't sure why, since I figure if I see the game and shoot it, the sound shouldn't affect the animal and still make the shot... Thanks for the 3"tip I wasn't sure how much eye relief guys had on their scopes.