338 ultra mag hunting loads

There are a lot of good choices for a.338 RUM whitetail bullets. I'd look for accuracy first. The 250 Accubond has worked well for us. I'll be trying the Bergers because of reliable feedback. I've used more H1000, but we seem to have gravitated towards to Reloader 25. A Federal 215 to start the fireworks.

I have Remington 700 .338 ultra, I shoot 98.5 grains of h1000 with 215 m in mine with one ragged he accuracy! this is a HEAVY load..... start lower and work up... most manuals have max at 98gr. Mine shoot better starting at 97.5 and was great at 98.5 was no need to go further. Good luck

My gun has some mods includding custom muzzle brake. This load was for 250 grain accubond... remember not all guns build pressure same so start lite and work up watching for pressure signs.

I have Remington 700 .338 ultra, I shoot 98.5 grains of h1000 with 215 m in mine with one ragged he accuracy! this is a HEAVY load..... start lower and work up... most manuals have max at 98gr. Mine shoot better starting at 97.5 and was great at 98.5 was no need to go further. Good luck

Hmmmm, Sarver. I remember that place. I grew up in Eau Claire.

Anyways. . . . my Rem 700 26"bbl tuperware stock shoots good with anything. The goto load is 300 Berger ahead of 101.5 gr 50BMG. Great velocity, 2735 and super accuracy and terminal performance. May be a bit much for those Penn's Woods deer by sure works wonders on elk sized stuff.

I'd consider something in the 225 grain range for your neck of the woods.

+1 with Roy.

Mine shoots best with 7828 and 265 lrx bullets. Very accurate, extremely dependible bullets.

However, like Roy mentioned, you can't go wrong no matter which way you decide to go.

Hmmmm, Sarver. I remember that place. I grew up in Eau Claire.

Anyways. . . . my Rem 700 26"bbl tuperware stock shoots good with anything. The goto load is 300 Berger ahead of 101.5 gr 50BMG. Great velocity, 2735 and super accuracy and terminal performance. May be a bit much for those Penn's Woods deer by sure works wonders on elk sized stuff.

I'd consider something in the 225 grain range for your neck of the woods.

I hunt regularly near bruin.... just south of you old stopping grounds... I agree. I don't even carry my .338s around here .... heck quite often I'll use my daughter's 243wssm with 95 grain combind technologies. Does wonders on pa whitetails!

Thanks for all the info guys. Yea may be a little much for these little deer but we will see how it works. I picked the gun up in a package deal off a guy that didnt no what all he had. I have a few place here in my side of pa I can get 1000 yd or better shots that's hard to come be in southwest pa. Let alone the whole state. Im ready to get this hammer shooting the right way!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.