338 magnum build

Rugerman77

Thinking about a new build. 338 magnum of some sort. I'm looking at the 338 rum with a carbon six barrel. Probably go with defiance action, manners stock.
Any pointers or criticisms on the above cartridge. Input from actual owners of 338 rum or other 338 magnum's preferably. I can read all of the ballistics, I'm looking for real world input.
Thanks

Do you want a repeater? Class/weight of bullet? Finish weight? Those few things will help narrow down some suggestions.

Imho the best 338 repeater if you want to shoot the heavies like the 300's is the 338 nmi. But the issue is actions that are truly lapua based friendly are limited. I would say 338 rum is pushing it COAL wise unless you have the action cut for a cfe9 and obviously run that Wyatt's box. You could get away with a cfe12 just depends on your personal opinion of optimal bullet seating depth and which bullet. The edge is a no go for a repeater imho. If your not wanting to shoot much heavier then the 250's you could go 338 prc (new era 338/375) or 33 nos. 33 nos would be a tad slower. Maybe 2950+ outa the 338prc and 2850+ outa the nosler. I've been around quite a few of the 338 options. I'm personally having 2 new ones built right now. 338 lapua imp and either the 338 prc or 33 nos. My smith gets to decide. He's built both. Also, I don't know if you've been behind many light 338's? Anything shooting those big 300's can be pretty hard to shoot and spot hits.

I have a factory Remington AWR in 338 RUM. Shoots 280 grain Barnes LRX .5 MOA. I put it in a Manners EH1 stock and installed a Holland brake. It's pretty light and recoil is not bad.

Thanks for the input. I have Wyatt's in my hunting rigs if they are built so that will be in for sure. It will only be hinged floor plate so mags are not an issue as well. The nosler I'm pretty well out on. Great bullets and I shoot a lot but I feel the brass leaves a lot to be desired. I wouldn't even put what I've tried in the top 5. I am a fan of the accubond though I don't shoot it much anymore, had great luck out of Berger hybrids, and the Barnes line up are good killers as well. Just looking for a little extra pop over my 300 rum which is already pushing 215 Bergers pretty hot. I'm set though on the carbon barrel. Also this will be put together by me. Not a big deal but might throw a kink in some of the not so mainstream rounds

I have a factory Remington AWR in 338 RUM. Shoots 280 grain Barnes LRX .5 MOA. I put it in a Manners EH1 stock and installed a Holland brake. It's pretty light and recoil is not bad.
Almost bought one of those in 300 rum before I found my current one. Heard good things

No problem. Atleast there's Peterson brass for the 33 nosler now. The 28-33 nosler is a pretty descent option as well and you can get adg 28 nosler brass. It would out run the 33. Obviously adg or lapua is the ideal stuff. I'm a Berger guy. It's all I shoot. I would of went 338 rum throated for the 250's but this light rifle I wanted to try a xlr folder chassis and it needed to fit in a cip length mag and I feel it would have to be seated too deep to get under the 3.750

One Shot One Kill!
If you are looking for a 338 I would recommend a LMAI. If you want a bigger capacity cartridge go with an ALLEN. I think he has a 338-416 that is a Lazer and can defeat small armies!
With some practice you can actually be very proficient with a single shot. All our varmint (except ARs), some hunting, "F" Class and ELR rifles are all single shot.
AND can load extra cartridges if needed pretty fast manually!
That way we can get the most out of long heavy bullets!
Our .338LMAI ELR/Hunting Custom JGS Reamer is tight and long for 300 Berger OTMs. On that ELR build it has a BAT Dual Port Single shot. We can also extend the throat if we want with a Throater.
I can send you my design print for it. Just PM me. can probably still work in a repeater with a long box..
Thanks
Len & Jill

One Shot One Kill!
If you are looking for a 338 I would recommend a LMAI. If you want a bigger capacity cartridge go with an ALLEN. I think he has a 338-416 that is a Lazer and can defeat small armies!
With some practice you can actually be very proficient with a single shot. All our varmint (except ARs), some hunting, "F" Class and ELR rifles are all single shot.
AND can load extra cartridges if needed pretty fast manually!
That way we can get the most out of long heavy bullets!
Our .338LMAI ELR/Hunting Custom JGS Reamer is tight and long for 300 Berger OTMs. On that ELR build it has a BAT Dual Port Single shot. We can also extend the throat if we want with a Throater.
I can send you my design print for it. Just PM me. can probably still work in a repeater with a long box..
Thanks
Len & Jill
Sounds like a good round. What the prep like over a standard round like a rum?
I forgot about the Allen's