338 Lupua with 225 TTSX

memtb

Trying to help a friend. He has a 338 Lupua with a slow twist(he says a 1 in 12) and mag length doesn't work well with the heavier bullets. He has and wants to use H4831SC with a Barnes 225 TTSX, does anyone have a pet-load with this combination? Thanks in advance, memtb

Good on ya for wanting to help.

IMO: the 225TTSX is a very good bullet. I shot them in my 338WM before it was rechambered to 338/26-Nosler. I'm out of them right now and need to get some more.

I don't have a 338 LM but I'm educated in the bullet's behavior.

IMO: You have a wide variety of powders that will work.

Barnes data is here http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/338LapuaWeb.pdf

If you want a QL+OTB work up, I'd be happy to. Just provide the details needed.

jfseaman,
Thanks, I wasn't smart enough to try the Barnes site but pretty much found what I suspected and had also told him, H4831SC is a little too fast for that application. He's very "frugal" (read cheap) to a fault, and had a abundance of 4831. I'm pretty familiar with the bullet (been using Barnes 225's since the original X bullet), as we're running the 225 TTSX in my wife's.338 WM. It's a great hunting bullet in the .338, and my wife has been very successful with it. Thanks for your offer to help, but I think he needs to invest in a slower powder! Thanks, memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.