338 lapua feeding problem

Tikkamike

My Smith is building a 338 lapua for me its a 700 action with a pt&g bolt with lapua bolt face and m16 extractor. This is the first lapua he has built. He is having problems getting it to feed right if he tries to feed it from the wyatts extended magazine box slowly it just plops right out of the ejection port. Anyway we are thinking maybe a different follower?? Any ideas? What kind of followers or other tricks do you guys with 338 lapuas built on 700 actions have. Any input is appreciated.

My Smith is building a 338 lapua for me its a 700 action with a pt&g bolt with lapua bolt face and m16 extractor. This is the first lapua he has built. He is having problems getting it to feed right if he tries to feed it from the wyatts extended magazine box slowly it just plops right out of the ejection port. Anyway we are thinking maybe a different follower?? Any ideas? What kind of followers or other tricks do you guys with 338 lapuas built on 700 actions have. Any input is appreciated.

When I change the magazine I normally use a flat top follower and center feed the round
with the mag box.

Staggered feed magazines tend to kick the round out the side and don't hold the round
in very well.

The round needs to move forward about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch before it allows the round
to move up and by this time the bullet is in the chamber end of the reicever

With the center feed mag box , tuning is easy by just bending the lips of the mag box in
or out to get the best feeding.

Also the center feed does not scratch the brass up going in the chamber.(It is in a strait line).

J E CUSTOM

When you say you center feed with the mag box are you using the windowed magazine box I have? Or is it a special magazine box? What I think you are saying is get a flat top follower so nothing is pushing the round.d left or right then just manipulate the lips of the box I have till it feeds how I want it to.?? Thanks

I use a center feed box with a flat top follower works great,i think what JE Custom is saying is the wyatts comes in two types,center feed or staggered feed configuration,you want the center feed model.

When you say you center feed with the mag box are you using the windowed magazine box I have? Or is it a special magazine box? What I think you are saying is get a flat top follower so nothing is pushing the round.d left or right then just manipulate the lips of the box I have till it feeds how I want it to.?? Thanks

That is correct as long as the mag box has the capability of being adjusted in to hold the
round centered but leave it high enough to still feed.

Most staggered feed mag box's dont have enough material to close the opening enough
because they use the action rails to hold the round.

If you cant make it work ,center feed mag box's are available for most actions.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.