.338 Lapua economics and others

Jake Levi

This is not techniques,

I am just getting started in reloading,

and am wondering on the costs for reloaded .338 LR target, and hunting rounds.

I have an older Win 70 30-06, which I really like, but looking at several of the Savages, I'd first thought of the .308, now looking at the .338s, Lapua being the leading one,

just looking for input on the relative economics, or more accurately costs on these.

I have read too much good about the Bergers for hunting and want to work with them for awhile at least. I am just now getting the basics over the winter, while I make up my mind about the caliber. I want to use the same rifle for target and hunting, most hunting will be under 500 yards but do want to put some rounds way down range.

"Economics" of the 338LM is a relative thing.
If you're just looking at some of the initial costs of things, it can be very expensive. A NIB Savage 110-BA will cost you $2K, and you cannot shoot it out of box. There is no open sights, so add a scope and rings. It's not really an offhand type gun, as it weighs about 16lbs, so add a bipod of your liking. You can get itchy and go out and buy a cheap box of Hornady ammunition, which will set you back $90 for 20rds, or you can plan ahead and grab some brass, prices starting in the low $2 per round and go up for premium brass. Bullets are not overly expensive if you go with some Bergers or Hornady, but Lapuas can be pricey to just throw down range. Powder costs as much as the powder for a 223, but it uses a WHOLE lot more of it, upwards of 90gr whereas 223 is down in the mid 20gr and 30-06 is in the mid 40s.
I picked up a 110-BA a bit back, and figured I'd only use it once in awhile when the bones weren't aching. I have a Rem700 30-06 that I use for shooting the whiskers off groundhogs, but again, the recoil can be brutal on aging bones. What has happened is the 338 is much more comfortable to shoot and makes me feel 10 yrs younger shooting a big bore. That means increased shooting, and costs, which isn't all bad, and the groundhogs hardly know the difference:D

Everything IS relative , thats for sure.

It could well be I will stay with the 30-06 for hunting and a .308 for sending rounds down range. Much to think about.

You will get mixed likes on many calibers, I just recently picked up the Savage LRH 111 in 338LM and LOVE IT! There is some cost in gathering the brass and some good bullets (I shoot the SMK's). But as mentioined above seeing the accuracy of the gun and caliber has me hooked!

I'm not saying you don't want a 338, or that it's a junk round. It's just the opposite. It is an awesome round, can reach out and touch just about anything, and can be comfortable to shoot. I'm just saying to not let the costs surprise you. I really like this 110-BA, even with it's pitfalls, but it is also just another tool in my toolbox of toys. It has it's uses, and just like all my other guns, has it's times where it stays in the safe.

The Win 70 30-06 has been and is a great hunting rifle, but my shots have all been under 200 yards, that was back east, now I am in Wa but with the forests etc here I am thinking the distances will be mostly similar for deer. I have used the 06 for some 500-600 yard shooting and its fun, I havent been reloading but am going to be, economics of a fixed income.

So I can see using the 06 for some longer range shooting, but really interested in the others, right now the .308 or .300Wn seem to be the ones I keep looking at for the LRS and possible LRH, if the hunting is much more likely then the .300 gets to look a lot better.

I am going to go with the Savage, I have been looking at the Savage site and priced a 111 at $1200 with SS 26" barrell accu triger and stock and long action.
Its available in both .308 and .300Win. This one is doable, for hunting and fun LR shooting,

so for now its choosing the caliber, on another thread the reloading of the two comes out a 1/4 more economical for the .308, no surprise but great to know. But I keep thinking about the 338LM, and the accuracy and reach out potential, its a hook for sure.

This site is a great help, I have always hunted, now am in great deer country and have a possibility on an elk draw. And there are many great places around here for some very decent LR shooting for fun.

Life is good!

Thanks for all of the great input, its appreciated.

338LM Economics:

Cost per Round:

- Brass $250 per 100 for Lapua (if you don't want to shoot Lapua brass, just get a 338 RUM and be done with it)... Assume 10x firings per piece of brass (which will require annealing to maintain accuracy) = $0.25/round
- Bullets... 300 gr SMK's in bulk (on sale) = $0.53/round or... 300 gr Berger OTM's in bulk = $0.68/round
- Primers (Fed 215 M) = $0.04/round
- Powder... H1000 in bulk (8-lb) = $160... cost = $160 / (7000 gr per lb x 8)/92gr = $0.26/round

- Total = $0.25 + $0.53 + $0.04 + $0.26 = $1.08/round for SMK's & $1.23/round for Bergers.

Now for the fixed costs:

- Good set of dies: (Redding Type-S and Micrometer seater) ~ $250
- Bushings: ~ $20/each
- Muzzle Brake (not optional, I tried that plan for awhile): ~ $100+
- Annealing Equipment: Variable but required IMO to maintain accuracy past 5X reloadings on a piece of brass
- Good set of bases and rings (not optional IMO): ~ $250+
- Scope that is up to the recoil (found that one out the expensive way too): $800 +
- Rifle: The sky is the limit...

Thanks for the breakdown, it is shaping up that the 06 is better for me in a number of ways, including costs, figures like these are hard to ignore.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.