338 EDGE w/ 300gr Berger OTM

Brambles

So I got word my rifle is shipped, should be here after the weekend.

Its an m700 stainless with a Benchmark 28" 9.5 twist barrel

Has the 4.00" Wyatt internal box

I got my dies Redding custom
I got my brass Federal Premium
I got my bullets 300 gr Berger OTM tactical
My primers Federal 215 magnum
My powder should be here this week too 8lbs of H1000

I see lots of info from Shawn Carlock regarding the 300 smk, and lots of reports of the magic load for the edges from 91-94 gr of H1000 with the SMK

What are guys experiances with the 300gr Berger OTM? Same powder charges as the SMK?

Where do the bergers like to sit in relation to the lands? Its a hunting rifle so I don't wanna be jambing them in!

Thanks in advance for the help

Jeff

I would recommend you start below the 90 gr with the new lots of H-1000. They are running 3 grains hotter than the older lots. Work up slowly 1/2 gr at a time.

I would start with the 300 OTM's seated about -.030 ~ -.040" off the lands till you find the charge it likes. Then maybe fine tune a little with seating depth. I have found the 300 Bergers shoot well from on the lands to .060 off or more. So just as well back em off to start to lower the pressure.

Make no miskake, anything above 92 gr of H-1000 even with the older lots is a plenty stout load. Some rifles will never get there with out killing brass. I have seen plenty that was done at 91 gr. I have never had one go to 94 gr and the ones at 92.5 to 93 were two or three firings and toss the brass with with the rifles I was working with.

Jeff

There was almost no difference in accuracy in my rifle from +.020-. +060 off the lands. Although groups opened up at +.100, this where I seated the SMKs.

When I seated the Bergers at +.005 groups were erratic and primers slightly flattened

I would recommend you start below the 90 gr with the new lots of H-1000. They are running 3 grains hotter than the older lots. Work up slowly 1/2 gr at a time.

I would start with the 300 OTM's seated about -.030 ~ -.040" off the lands till you find the charge it likes. Then maybe fine tune a little with seating depth. I have found the 300 Bergers shoot well from on the lands to .060 off or more. So just as well back em off to start to lower the pressure.

Make no miskake, anything above 92 gr of H-1000 even with the older lots is a plenty stout load. Some rifles will never get there with out killing brass. I have seen plenty that was done at 91 gr. I have never had one go to 94 gr and the ones at 92.5 to 93 were two or three firings and toss the brass with with the rifles I was working with.

Jeff

Any idea what date/lot number the H1000 started getting hotter? I have a unused bottle of it on the shelf but I'm hesitant to start load development if its not gonna behave like the 8lbs I got coming?

Your throat length will play a huge part in the load you can use.
.338 Edge chambers vary from about 3.700" to 4.100" COAL or more with the 300gn Berger.
With the shorter throat stick to the lighter loads with H1000 but if you single load at maximum length in a custom chamber, then you can push the charge up to 94gn without too much drama. (Or switch to Retumbo)

The 300gn Berger gives slightly higher velocity in my rifles compared to the 300gn SMK with the same powder charge.

I'm not sure about the hotter batch of H1000. I have never noticed any significant change between batches. I would also be keen to find out what the hot batch numbers are.

Any idea what date/lot number the H1000 started getting hotter? I have a unused bottle of it on the shelf but I'm hesitant to start load development if its not gonna behave like the 8lbs I got coming?

I would wait. There is always a velocity difference between lots of powders. Some differnces may be slight but they are rarely the same. This is why I bought 40 'bs all the same lot of H-1000 last time. The difference between my old lot and the lot I have now was 30 fps across an oehler 35 in a back to back test.

Jeff

I'm gonna be happy if I can get a solid 2800 fps with the 300 gr berger out of the 28" Benchmark 5R barrel. I really don't see the need to revv it up past that.

I'm gonna be happy if I can get a solid 2800 fps with the 300 gr berger out of the 28" Benchmark 5R barrel. I really don't see the need to revv it up past that.

That will come in about 92 gr or so, but please work up to it. That is a plenty stout load. Not saying it will be over pressure in your particular rifle, but for sure it is not a minimum load in any rifle.

Jeff

I also want to try the 300 Berger when my stock of MK's run out.
I'm also curious re: high pressure reports with some lots of H1000.
My current Lot# 1052110 = produces the following velocities with 300 gr MK @ 3.785 OAL = 0.055 jump.
88 - 2711
89 - 2733
90 - 2767
91 - 2820
92 - 2840

I can't find the Lot #s for my previous powders but the velocities are recorded as being the same (or within 10 FPS).
I expect my new order to arrive this week and will start over at 88 gr to be safe.

Is it possible that one lot was made that ran hotter than all others, and has created this concern? (Say from 2008 - 2009. Granted, one hot batch is a concern and reason enough to always back off when starting with a new batch of powder) but has anyone seen high pressures recently?
If anyone has Lot# vrs velocity data it would be interesting to compare.

Is it possible that one lot was made that ran hotter than all others, and has created this concern? (Say from 2008 - 2009. Granted, one hot batch is a concern and reason enough to always back off when starting with a new batch of powder) but has anyone seen high pressures recently?
If anyone has Lot# vrs velocity data it would be interesting to compare.

My current lot was 30 fps faster than the previous lot. The hotter lot most are refering to I believe were from 2011. You have it right though, simply back em off and work up when changing lots.

Jeff

I just started working up a load for my edge with 300gr bergers. Started at 90gr H1000 of a new lot, chrono'd across the pvm at 2905 with an es of 1fps with 2 rounds. I thought that was a mistake and tried 92 grains with a velocity of 2995fps. I'm running a 30" krieger but I feel the lot #'s a bit hot.

I too have an Edge on the way and am very interested in this thread as I am going to use this for my trip this fall to the Yukon for Moose, Bear, Wolf, and Caribou.

My question is, wouldn't it be better to start off seating it closer to the lands to work up loads? This would let you know what the top load is and pressures would only drop as you move away for grouping??

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.