338 cal comparison

ScO

I wouldn't hold your breath for Lapua to release 338 RUM brass. I don't think it will happen, ever. It would canabalize sales of the 338 Lapua brass. The 338 Lapua catridge is a better designed cartridge. The 338 RUM is a more convienently designed cartridge.

The 408 is a mucho expensive cartridge.
shocked.gif

I am new to this board, and to long range, but I do shoot a 338. I love cal and would like to get out there and compete with the 300. Is a 338 AI a possibilty for reasonably savings? Do they have such a critter?
Jim

so how far exactly, given great conditions, and shooter skills would this round have an effective range, 338 lapua

avengeusa,
Depends entirely on what the target diameter is, the percentage of hits within that circle you feel the need to have and the rifle/ammo combination's potential to begin with.

One more reason to have a "well under moa" accurate rifle to start with.
smile.gif

21,000 ft. above sea level, Zero wind, 80 degrees farenheit, 97 % humidity, Monster (CK) on the rifle, 2,800 yards:

"Nothing But NET"
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I have a 300ultra mag necked to .338 in a 30" stainless pac/nor match on mark X action.The barrel is a five groove 1 in 10
with #5 taper with a bit of free bore.I have pushed 300gr SMK's 3060fps and 200gr
nosler BT's 3500 fps. This gun will shoot subminute, a real performer at extreme range. I don't know very much about the game but you can't over look the 300 um case.I shoot just as good as anybody, just can't hit good as most!!

I have a 300ultra mag necked to .338 in a 30" stainless pac/nor match on mark X action.The barrel is a five groove 1 in 10
with #5 taper with a bit of free bore.I have pushed 300gr SMK's 3060fps and 200gr
nosler BT's 3500 fps. This gun will shoot subminute, a real performer at extreme range. I don't know very much about the game but you can't over look the 300 um case.I shoot just as good as anybody, just can't hit good as most!!

in the 300smk I used H870, in the 200 BT I used WMR and IMR 7828, the key to the great vel is the free bore.I noticed that older brass yielded slower vel.

Attention Admins: Please Delete

Last edited:
Sheldon,
I was getting 2780-2800 in my Ruger 338wm with the Federal TBBC HE loads. I loaded that HE brass up with 4831 or 4350 with 250gr Barnes X bullets for a MV of 3050 fps. Brass only lasted 4 loadings and was way over pressure I'm sure, but strange enough, I couldn't get over 2800 fps with the regular Federal brass no matter how much I stuffed in the case, Velocity actually "fell" 200 fps in a 1gr step up with the normal stuff. It never did with the HE brass, I just couldn't keep the case from bulging to get any more powder in there it was compressed so much. I actually had to take about 10-15 seconds to seat each bullet so it didn't bulge the case and/or push the bullet back out. When I was young and dumb of course.
grin.gif

My buddie Chuck that I'm heading to the range with in the morning, he has a 330 Ultra and can't get any more than 2830 fps on my Oehler with a 250 SGK using RL25, bolt lift just gets stiff on it. He's not too happy with its velocity to say the least. He wonders if he just has a slow bbl or something. We'll see what he's got cooked up for tomarrow and how it does.

Last edited:
Comparing the .338 win bag to the .338/300 UM is funny I can out run your loads by over
400fps with 180 gr. bullets and 300 fps with
200gr bullets. Try shooting your loads over a chronograph instead of hoping and fantacizing about the little .338 win bag.
You're in for a rude awakening!!! Oh if you want to improve your velocity in the little win bag try some IMR7828 or WMR. The R25 will group pretty good but the velocity is just not there.

I've had good luck using RL25 in my custom .338 ultra. Rifle wears a 28" Krieger barrel, 3065FPS with 250g Sierra SPBT, 2990FPS with 250g Nosler Partition Golds (elk hunting load). Both loads give me 1/2" MOA

[ 05-16-2003: Message edited by: Al Walewski ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts