338-378 Weartherby load data

Kokreps

I've just received a Weatherby 338-378 and want to start reloading for it. Looking for a hunting load in the 285gr to 300gr bullet weight range. Can someone give me something that's working for them. Thanks.

I have loaded every conceivable combination for this round. RL33 is ok, n570 Is ok, H870 does good and rl 25 is the best. Accubonds shoot well and the Barnes LRX in 265 and 280 will shoot one ragged hole in every rifle I have ever worked on. Win Mag primers preferably used. I would Start at 110 gr of rl 25 on the 265 and work SLOWLY up from there. using a chrono you will be around 3175 to 3200. The Berger OTM I am starting to try but am very doubtful it is going to work. Be very conscious of distorting the ogive when pressing in the big 300 gr bullets. The powder compacts behind the bullet and the bullet seater will distort the ogive

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.