.338-.375 Cheytac question

Punisher

I’m working on a blue print for this right now, but I know there are some people in here that have this wildcat.

I’m trying to get some estimates in quick loads.

im getting an estimate of 3110 fps with a 350 grain .338 bullet out of a 36” barrel

what are some real numbers or better estimates you get?

yorke-1

Those numbers sound possible with the right load. I had a 30" barrel on one of mine and I could get a touch over 3200 fps with H50bmg, but that gun shot the 300gr OTM best at 3150. The same load gets 2890 fps in a 20" barreled specialty pistol cut with the same reamer.

Which bullet are you thinking about using?

Calvin45

Those numbers sound possible with the right load. I had a 30" barrel on one of mine and I could get a touch over 3200 fps with H50bmg, but that gun shot the 300gr OTM best at 3150. The same load gets 2890 fps in a 20" barreled specialty pistol cut with the same reamer.

You’re shooting a .338 ct out of a 20 inch “specialty pistol”?????? Sounds like something liable to burn one’s eyebrows off, and I thought we only did that during barbecue season!

yorke-1

You’re shooting a .338 ct out of a 20 inch “specialty pistol”?????? Sounds like something liable to burn one’s eyebrows off, and I thought we only did that during barbecue season!

It's not as bad as you'd think! LOL It's definitely not designed for offhand shooting, but it did alright shooting at a 1 MOA gong off of the barricade.

M Poling

It's not as bad as you'd think! LOL It's definitely not designed for offhand shooting, but it did alright shooting at a 1 MOA gong off of the barricade.
I thought you were joking. That is terrifyingly awesome!
Ok, so if I want one, how do I spin this to the wife?

Punisher

I’m designing it. Lead core with a swaged jacket

yorke-1

I’m designing it. Lead core with a swaged jacket

Interesting. Will it work from a 1:9” twist, or are you working more towards an 8” twist or faster?

I thought you were joking. That is terrifyingly awesome!
Ok, so if I want one, how do I spin this to the wife?

Tell her you really wanted to build a 50 BMG handgun, but settled on the big 338 to save some money on the build and reloading components. Building the 338/408 is really the only financially responsible thing to do when you frame it that way.

yorke-1

Looks like a T5 Terminator Brake ?

Standing beside a brake isn't the best place to be ;-)
I love those brakes! You can see how well it works even burning 140gr of powder. I used a T4 on the rifle with a smaller barrel profile and it worked great too.

I love convincing people to stand right in the blast zone with their mouth open. LOL

Kiwi Greg

I love those brakes! You can see how well it works even burning 140gr of powder. I used a T4 on the rifle with a smaller barrel profile and it worked great too.

I love convincing people to stand right in the blast zone with their mouth open. LOL
Thanks, always great to get feedback ;-)