338 cheytac brass question

dj300ack

Anyone using bertam brass to make 338 cheytac brass yet. Looking for info on primer pockets holding up. My jaminson brass is sorry. I'm running 300gr bergers at 3223fps 2 firings they are loose. Looking for other alternatives. Have considered norma 505 gibbs also. Any info will be appericated.

What barrel length are you running, also what load are you using. I am getting 15 or so loads with the Jamison two star brass from a 32 inch barrel with 140 gr of BMG, velocity is 3250. The pockets are still GTG but the cases become sticky after 12 to 15 cycles.

I am using 136gr. 50 bmg in a 32in. kriger barrel. Velocity is 3223fps, oheler 35 chronograph.

That should be a mild load. You must have a tight barrel. Is your brass the two star 375 or are you necking down 408 brass?

I am using 136gr. 50 bmg in a 32in. kriger barrel. Velocity is 3223fps, oheler 35 chronograph.

That is a mild load, and generally the "accuracy load", for the .338-.408 configurations.

The Jamison two star, .408 brass certainly has its primer pocket issues. Some of that brass has gone 5-7 loads, and some has only gone 1-2 loads.

For those reasons, and others, I have switched to the Bertram brass. I have several thousand pieces of the .338-.408 improved version. This brass has gone over 15 loads with the 135-138 grain load behind the 300 pills. Primer pockets were still tight. Sold some to guys that have experienced the same problem as you, and they were very happy...

I'll cut some loose if you want to buy some. Just send me a pm if you're interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts