338 250 grain Matchkings on game

I cant say how well they are in the 338 but in 35 they are my main choice of hunting round. I have used them on black bear, moose(both cows and bulls) and this last fall on a whitetail doe. Anything I have ever shot with them never did go very far. I did find that they do seem to perform best right around the 2850 range, any faster and penetration suffered as the bullit came apart too quickly, now having said that the annimal did still die. Huge trauma to all the organs in the chest cavity and massive internal bleeding. The only one I have had complete pass through is with the doe though so if your looking for a round that makes large exit wounds on heavier game this isn't it.

I also should addthat I am using the 225 grn, I just read the WHOLE title of your post so I'm not too sure if anything I put in there is relavent to you. Apologies if it's not

It's nice to hear from another 35 user. I have been playing with a 350 Rem Mag for well over 20 years and have two 358 Norma's that do a decent job out to 400 yards or so. I have found the best bullet to be the 225 Partition as it hangs together and has a reasonable b.c. It outdoes the accubond and works better in the slow twist 35's/

I found the 225 Sierra Gameking to be pretty succeptable to core separation at both high and low velocity. However on caribou size game that doesn't matter much.

I still wonder about the 338 MatchKings. Particularly the 250 Sierra as it is the most easily available up here in the Yukon and shoots so well. The Gameking s no slouch either. Caribou out to 600 would be my game. I think I'll use partitions for moose.

I shot an elk with 338 rum 250 sgk at 700 yards, the bullet hit the front of the liver and the jacket was found against the hide behind the shoulder, the core was a pass thru, expansion was very good and the elk fell after about 50 feet. Accuracy was 3/8" group at 100 yards.

I have used them off and on for years and have probably shot close to 50 big game critters with them (mostly whitetail deer with few elk and antelope tossed in). Terminal performance has been great. Ranges have been anywhere from under 50 yards to a little over 1000. As mentioned by a previous poster, I have found several jackets under the skin on the off side. Some of those were pass throughs by the core, others were not. At ranges under 200 yards they blow a pretty big hole, but as I always say.... "you can't kill'em too dead".:D

Thanks mate...any concern about close range blow ups?

Never had a close range shot (under 75 yards) and that one was on a small feral hog (175lbs) and it was running hit it in the left rear exiting right front. Looked like a 2x4 went through it.

Have not used the 250, but the 300 Sierra BTHP kills everything in it's tracks....may try some 250's just out of curiosity....

i have a 340 wby with a 30 inch hart that was built in the 1994 the gun #15.5 pound with scope,the load is 250 sierra MKHP, 90.0- 7828,fed 215.it hot load but its even hard on brass.velocity is 3109 fps at 10 ft. george

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.