• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 338/06 AI barrel for sale

biggame irv

I am selling a Douglas air gauge premium barrel threaded for a model 700 Long Action chambered in 338/06 Ackley Improved also 200 rds. of match prepped brass and Redding custom Dies
This barrel is 24" long and has a break installed. It has less than 600rds through it and it shot MOA or better and is ready to put on a Remington long action with a standard bolt face (30 06 270 25 06)
chambering was done by Billy Baker of Jellico Tnn.
My Son Killed 6 Elk and several Deer and Antelope with it
This would be an inexpensive way to step up to a Great Elk, Moose or Bear Caliber
shoot 210gr barns TTX bullets @ 2800 ftps or 185gr @ 3000+ can furnish all the load data as well
Only reason for selling is my son has a hair up his *** to build a 338 Norma for LONGRANGE hunting

Selling every thing for $550
Call me @ 760 788-7539

Dang! I just had a 338-06AI built! If you wouldnt mind sharing your load data, I'd be much appreciated. I already broke in my barrel shooting some 225 gr Core Lokt Ultra bonded. Groups were right around 1 moa. I also have the 210 TTSX that I plan to shoot as I live in the communist state of California. Powders and primers are hard to come by out here. I have RL22, H414, IMR 4350, H4831sc, Superformance, IMR 4064, IMR 4831 on hand. Mag primers or standard? Thanks in advance!!!

We did a fair amount of load development on the this cartilage not only did my son have one but 2 other members of our elk hunting group have built up rifles to shoot the 338/06 AI all 3 guns shoot the 200 gr Hornadays sub MOA the with 55gr of IMR4964 Velocity was 2750 for the 24inch barrel on my son's gun and the 210 Nosler partitions at just over MOA with the same load and MV at a tad more (2780)
The 3 guns over a 15 yr period have accounted for 29 elk 17 deer and a moose
most of the kills where one shot affairs any time a 2nd shot was needed it was operator error. We did try the 200 gr Hornadays on pigs and antelope but the bullets came apart on these smaller animals so we stayed with the partitions for hunting most other game.
Until recently we all lived in Commie Cal. too so we started working up a load with the Barns ttsx and found that to get best accuracy we need to push them faster.
after trying several different powders we settled on 68gr of IMR4064
COAL for the Hornadays and Noslers was 3.540 and with the Barns we found that 3.620 worked best All loads used Federal gold metal large rifle primers.

If for some reason you want to try other powders we found that Accurate arms 2520 works almost as well as the IMR 4064 makes sense their burn rates are very close. Also 63.5 of H4350 did well but MV was down.
Bottom line this is a wonderful cartage and the only reason for changing was my son has a hair up his butt to try his hand at longrange hunting so we are building his gun up for the 338 norma and will shoot 300gr burgers.
I have since decided to keep the AI 338/06 and am looking for a mod 700 action to put it back on and try shooting some of the 160gr Barns bullets just for the hell of it
Hope this helped you out
IRV

It is a huge help, THANK YOU so much! I have plenty of long range guns but this is for my dream hunt in Alaska for brown bear. It started out as one of the custom Mountain Eagles that Magnum Research built back in the late 90's. It was in 30-06. I sent it to the team at Cross Canyon Arms in Utah and they put a 24" Pac-Nor on it, fluted and cerakoted everything. Great looking gun. Thanks again!!!

good luck
if where me I would use either the 210 or 225 Barns or Nosler
the one that shoots the best in your gun
if you do your job it will be a 1 shot kill