308win to 338Lapua

Liquid

Hey everybody, what exactly has to be change/done to make my savage 10fp-le2 308 into a 338Lapua?

Remove the action from the stock.
Remove the trigger group from the action.
Remove and dis-assemble the bolt.
Remove the scope mount base and rings.
Set all these parts aside for later sale when the bill for your new rifle in 338 Lapua arrives.

Seriously, you can't convert a 308 to a 338.
Look on the net for a Sako 995 (TRG-S) sporter. That may probably be the best entry level 338 lapua on the market.

Good Luck.

No.

Simple explanation of how it works.

There are two ( there are more actually, but for discussion) action types, short and long.
This refers to the length of the action (simple enough) and by reasoning, the cartridge it will hold.

Short action rifles such as the 308 can be used in conversion for any short cartridge.
Easy way to make that determination, measure the magazine box and the ejection port to see how big a cartridge will fit and function.

The 300 winmag takes a long action (Remington for comparision) and the 308 takes a short action.

The Ultramags and the 338 Lapua take a somewhat larger action to leave enough metal around the cartridge for safety ( simplified again).

There are other things to consider but the simple answer to your question is.......Nope.

You're trying to make a yugo into a Lexus.
sorry.

The Armalite AR30 are a best buy for a 338 LM. They can be had for $1200-1300. They are good rifles, The barrel are a bit thin for my taste but you could rebarrel one and have an excellent rig.

One option that may be possible would be a conversion to a 300WSM. I'm not a gunsmith but I believe this combination will work with a short action gun. One problem might be a need for a longer barrel to utilize the bigger case and bolt face and magazine follower modifications. A gunsmith could answer your questions. Whether the cost of all these modifications would outweigh selling the gun and purchasing another only you can be the judge.

Pat S.

As far as the 308 to the 338 goes , it can be done on your action but you will only be able to shoot it in single shot form and will probably have to pull the whole bolt out to get a live round out of the chamber.

Now as for the 308 to 300WSM , that is a pretty easy conversion.
Cheap way: have your barrel rechambered to 300WSM and replace your bolt head with a Mag bolt head , and if you want it to feed from the magazine you'll have to have the lips opened up
Best way: Send you action to Kevin Rayhill and tell him what you want.

I had a 308 barrel rechambered to 300WSM for a 110 action , worked great as a single shot and semi ok as a repeater with a mag sized magizine , the rounds wanted to jump out of the action sometimes though , this is whay Savage uses the controled round feed bolt head on their WSM but you have to have a special plunger made into your action for this head if your gun isin't already a WSM as it doesen't have a spring and plunger type ejector.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.