.308 Winchester Speer 165g Spitzer loads

jonoMT

Hi,

Too cheap to buy a Speer manual just to get load data for one cartridge and bullet. Anyone have some loads for this? I like the BC (.477) but have found little info on this bullet. Should I just stick with Sierra?

Jon

when reloading, I will use various loading informantion from bullet to bullet as long as the bullet is similar ie same weight and close to the same BC. I don't think you will find that much change from a 165 gr speer to a 165 nolser to a 165 hornady as long as you start testing from the lower powder level and use the same powder and primer. I utilize Hodgdon's reloading information on their website quite a bit since they have a huge selection of bullets and I like their powders to begin with. Happy shooting, Mark

Thanks! I figured the best thing to do is start low but use a ballistically similar round like the Nosler BT. BTW, at least for the .308 Win, Hodgdon only lists a Hornady SP, although it has been tested against lots of powders.

Jon

165 Speer Spitzer load

.308 Winchester
165 Speer Spitzer
IMR 4064 41 gr to start,45 max
IMR 4895 39 gr to start,43 max
This is the Speer #12 manual

Thanks for the load info. I was also pleasantly surprised to find an email from Speer this morning with an attached PDF showing their .308 Win loads. I wasn't sure if they would honor my request but it certainly makes me more favorable towards using their products.

One reason I want to use the Speer Spitzers is that they have the same BC as Nosler BTs or Accubonds but cost 2/3 to 1/2 as much. I'd rather fire 50-100% more practice rounds of a bullet that may not be quite the same quality but may be close enough. Obviously, the particular rifle will have to "like" whatever it's fed. In this case, it's for a Rem. LTR w/a fixed 4X scope, which (and here comes the confession) I'm gearing just for MPBR hunting. That's partially because of my comfort level/experience with distance shooting, especially on an animal, and also because that rifle in .308 Win and 20" barrel doesn't strike me as a setup for hitting a bull elk at 600+ yards.

Jon

Thanks for the load info. I was also pleasantly surprised to find an email from Speer this morning with an attached PDF showing their .308 Win loads. I wasn't sure if they would honor my request but it certainly makes me more favorable towards using their products.

One reason I want to use the Speer Spitzers is that they have the same BC as Nosler BTs or Accubonds but cost 2/3 to 1/2 as much. I'd rather fire 50-100% more practice rounds of a bullet that may not be quite the same quality but may be close enough. Obviously, the particular rifle will have to "like" whatever it's fed. In this case, it's for a Rem. LTR w/a fixed 4X scope, which (and here comes the confession) I'm gearing just for MPBR hunting. That's partially because of my comfort level/experience with distance shooting, especially on an animal, and also because that rifle in .308 Win and 20" barrel doesn't strike me as a setup for hitting a bull elk at 600+ yards.

Jon
Who would shoot at bull elk at 600 yards with a 308 Win ? Not me …….that's 300 Win Mag range at most. Remember shooting or sniping humans at 600 yards is not Bull elk ……..humans are tender and easily dispatched when hit and require very little FPS of energy to kill. Leave the long range kills too the magnums and keep the 308 win where it performs the best 400 yards and closer on game.